Email Notification - Not Including Reply

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Community
Up until a few day ago, when someone posted a reply to a thread that you subscribed to, you'd receive an email notifying you that the thread was updated AND also provide the reply (or most of it) right in the email.

I really miss that feature. Any chance we can have that back? Why was it removed?

-Q

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Up until a few day ago, when someone posted a reply to a thread that you subscribed to, you'd receive an email notifying you that the thread was updated AND also provide the reply (or most of it) right in the email.

I really miss that feature. Any chance we can have that back? Why was it removed?

Yes, I removed it from both subscription notices and PM notifications over the weekend. I did it for two reasons. First, e-mailing the text preserves an original copy, which isn't always good if someone thinks better of what they said and quickly edit it. I think that grace period is important. Second, I'd prefer if people came back to the site to check replies, especially private messages.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I like the change. I almost always edit my posts immediatly after posting to correct spelling mistakes and stuff that I didn't notice 'til I hit the post button. I never liked the idea that people who subscribed by e-mail got copies of my unmodified post.. :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I LOVED the included text. I rarely mess up so badly as to need to edit a post before someone reads it. It actually makes me more aware that I need to be careful when I post.

As for the "visit the site"... I'm on here so much as is, a little heads up on what await me in a thread is good. Sometimes I sit on several threads until I have time to peruse and other times, I read the email and jump on right away.

Another benefit... It's nice to know when I need to login to "edit" someone else's post if it is inappropriate. Granted, if someone want to trick me, they can post, then edit the thread afterwards.

Either way... Unless I am interpreting the decision incorrectly, it's not up for discussion.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I also support the decision, Q. Sorry :( The reasons for changing it are definitely valid, as we have had situations where text in the email response has caused trouble.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    As for the "visit the site"... I'm on here so much as is
    I know it's an inconvenience for some, apologies :-/ I'm trying to boost participation for those who don't come by often, not the dozen of us who click through 20 times a day. Curiosity is a powerful motivator, and I think the change will have a net benefit for the site overall. :) It's part of a larger strategy.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    All good points... What ever is best for the site, I support. :thumbsup:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I though along exactly the same lines as Prime and Keebs. I don't edit posts often, so that's not an issue with me, but I always wondered why the post was included in the mail.

I for one used to get very lazy and only checked e-mail, without loggong on to the site. I am definitely visiting on a more regular basis and posting more actively.
    It's like going into the store just to buy a loaf of bread. You always come out with more stuff than you intended. In the same way there's always something else on the forums that catches my eye, so I can vouch from my experience that leaving the reply out of e-mails is a good way to draw people to the site.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    I know it's an inconvenience for some, apologies :-/ I'm trying to boost participation for those who don't come by often, not the dozen of us who click through 20 times a day. Curiosity is a powerful motivator, and I think the change will have a net benefit for the site overall. :) It's part of a larger strategy.
    It may well get people to visit more. I pop in several times a day but loved the email with text. Now I feel like I'm almost 'forced' into coming. It's like adverts on TV, it makes me feel like I'm being manipulated a little.
    Oh well.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Good call IMHO.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    I like the change. I almost always edit my posts immediatly after posting to correct spelling mistakes and stuff that I didn't notice 'til I hit the post button. I never liked the idea that people who subscribed by e-mail got copies of my unmodified post.. :)

I always thought English teachers never made spelling and grammar mistakes. That's what my English teachers led me to believe, at any rate.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    You were led wrongly. English teachers make just as many mistakes as others, we're just more likely to notice afterward.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    You were led wrongly. English teachers make just as many mistakes as others, we're just more likely to notice afterward.

In that case, you should have met my ninth grade English teacher. She was quite a bitch. I think you'd be shocked by her, actually.