fixmapi.exe won't run, can't install Palm on XP machine

edited September 2007 in Hardware
I am sorry this is in the wrong place, I don't know how to move it.

Back in April I had posted here and on a number of other forums trying to install the Palm software on my XP machine after it came back from repair work under warranty. I gave up after trying everything everyone suggested with no luck. Today I was browsing around and found this link where it says at the very bottom to run fixmapi.exe

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6367.html

But when I try to run fixmapi.exe the run box just disappears and I am assuming it does nothing. I did it in Safe Mode and even tried to install the Palm software and there it gives me the message:

1607:Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime

If I try to run it on a normal boot up I still get the blue screen. I have tried everything that anyone told me to try, but it will not work. I just keep hoping something will show up somewhere that will get me over this hurdle so today when I ran across this new problem I thought maybe this might have something to do with it not installing?????

My main machine is running Vista and it does sync on Vista but with limitation the quick install doesn't work so I am unable to use the Palm like I would wish to.

Can someone at least tell me why the XP is not even running the fixmapi.exe?

Here is the link to my original post on this forum:

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=474047#post474047

Comments

• edited September 2007
    This issue was resolved thanks to a poster on Hardware Central and my brothers help, I want to post the link to where it was resolved and the text of it, I will paste it below my original post on this site:

==============================

slhayes wrote:
    I am sorry this is in the wrong place, I don't know how to move it.

Back in April I had posted here and on a number of other forums trying to install the Palm software on my XP machine after it came back from repair work under warranty. I gave up after trying everything everyone suggested with no luck. Today I was browsing around and found this link where it says at the very bottom to run fixmapi.exe

http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6367.html

But when I try to run fixmapi.exe the run box just disappears and I am assuming it does nothing. I did it in Safe Mode and even tried to install the Palm software and there it gives me the message:

1607:Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime

If I try to run it on a normal boot up I still get the blue screen. I have tried everything that anyone told me to try, but it will not work. I just keep hoping something will show up somewhere that will get me over this hurdle so today when I ran across this new problem I thought maybe this might have something to do with it not installing?????

My main machine is running Vista and it does sync on Vista but with limitation the quick install doesn't work so I am unable to use the Palm like I would wish to.

Can someone at least tell me why the XP is not even running the fixmapi.exe?

Here is the link to my original post on this forum:

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=474047#post474047

========================

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?p=1018587#post1018587

Mike and everyone else after 6 months I do have my Palm installed on my XP machine. Mike looked at my minidump file and came back thinking the problem was the mdmxsdk.sys file. I did not do anything with this because I began to communicate with my brother who stuck with me until we resolved it by renaming the pxhelp20.sys file.

But my brother thinks the problem may have been what Mike said it was namely the mdmxsdk.sys file.

This is hard to explain but I will try. I did not do anything with the mdmxsdk.sys file because when I began to talk to my brother he said he had the file on his computer. He was reading my minidump files after he had me try a couple of things like disabling my floppy drive and I think I disabled the DVD, which I have been having problems with, but all I got was more blue screens. Then he mentioned pxhelp20.sys file and I did a search and sent him something I found. He suggested I try to rename that file and after renaming I had to load the file from my hard drive where I had copied the contents of the installation cd. After this the Palm did the installation. I still have a small problem but nothing major at this point.

Then today my brother sent me an email where he said he thought Mike was right about the mdmxsdk.sys,
    I can't go into all the details here, but I want to paste what my brother sent me in this email:

Sylvia,
    I took another look at what we did and I'm not sure why what we did worked. I was looking at files that had been unloaded from memory and I would think the a file still in memory would have been the cause. I ran a program called Windbg and it says

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mdmxsdk.sys, Win32 error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mdmxsdk.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mdmxsdk.sys
    Probably caused by : mdmxsdk.sys ( mdmxsdk+1273 )

I don't know if this is what Mayers57 was looking at on Hardware Central but it agrees with what he said.
    It could be that mdnxsdk.sys is corrupt or something and renaming pxhelp20,sys stopped the computer from getting to mdmsdk.sys?

This is all speculation but suggests there might be a better fix for the problem. This is just something to keep in mind in case you start running into other problems.

Also Mayer57 was trying to get you to change the saettings so that you would get a kernal memory dump rather than small memory (64k minidump). But I don't know if this was accomplished since you said the file was still in the minidump directory, unless you changed the default directory name for the kernal memory dump.
    This is just something to be aware of in case we decide to go further at some time.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that it is finally installed after all this time. So thank you very much Mike for all the effort you put in to steer me and my brother in the direction that allowed my problem to be solved.
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
    Sylvia Hayes