After lunch slump?

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Fitness
Well everyone seems to be getting really healthy here so I thought that some of you might have a solution for my issue. I get up between 4:30 and 5 so that I can go to the gym for my cardio before going to work (where I have to be by 7:30)

I have a healthy protein packed breakfast (I had my standard fatfree milk, soy protein shake mix, banana breakfast this morning. Other mornings I make up a couple eggs with a whole wheat english muffin) And Im on top of the world until lunch.

At lunch (~11:30 - ~1200) I have 1 (lean cuisine, smart ones, or healthy choice) frozen lunch, 1 serving of dairy (string cheese or yogurt) and a piece of fruit, along with half of my 32oz jug of water. But by 1-1:30 I am absolutely exaushted and am basically useless at work for the next 3-3.5 hours. I try to get 8 hours of sleep but generally end up getting closer to 7 hours of sleep. Caffine isnt an option b/c it keeps me awake at night if I consume it after 10am. I used to graze but Im trying to cut that out just in general.

Any suggustions?

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2007
    The more I eat, the more tied I get. A Sunday dinner knocks me out. I seem to have got to a point where after a big meal I have to have a snooze.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    There's a big span between when you have breakfast and lunch. I would suggest something small between. Oatmeal, another piece of fruit, something with carbohydrates.

My guess is by the time lunch rolls around, your body has used a lot of the food earlier in the day, and so that when you get to eating your lunch you're basically running on nothing until your body digests that food.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    There's a big span between when you have breakfast and lunch. I would suggest something small between. Oatmeal, another piece of fruit, something with carbohydrates.

My guess is by the time lunch rolls around, your body has used a lot of the food earlier in the day, and so that when you get to eating your lunch you're basically running on nothing until your body digests that food.

Nomad is right - too much time between meals.

You may want to check with your Dr. to see if you are Insulin-intollerant(II). This is common in folks these days (I'm one of them)- due to all the sugar in our diets. I get REALLY tired is the same way as you decribed, if I eat after missing meals. I now try to eat a little protein, a little carbs, and a small amount of fat (good fats) every 3 hours.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    RADA wrote:
    Nomad is right - too much time between meals.

You may want to check with your Dr. to see if you are Insulin-intollerant(II). This is common in folks these days (I'm one of them)- due to all the sugar in our diets. I get REALLY tired is the same way as you decribed, if I eat after missing meals. I now try to eat a little protein, a little carbs, and a small amount of fat (good fats) every 3 hours.

I had talked with my doctor about it and she said I shouldnt be eating more frequently than every 5-6 hours. Shes said some other quacky things and Ive considered switching doctors but its such a PITA every time I do.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2007
    I'd suggest not getting up at 4:30!
    edited September 2007
    BetsyD wrote:
    I had talked with my doctor about it and she said I shouldnt be eating more frequently than every 5-6 hours. Shes said some other quacky things and Ive considered switching doctors but its such a PITA every time I do.

Betsy,

I have had a minor to medium-high level weight problem since I was 13 yrs old. EVERY singe time I've changed my eating habits to include 5-6 small (300-500 calories) meals, I ate less, had better tolerance to avoid junk food, got better results in the gym, DID NOT get tired after meals, and LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT!

Is it easy, no, its not. At 1st its really hard to eat this often. All I can say about your Dr. is look at them, are they in top physical shape? My Chiropractor(he's 48, and looks like he's 33) says Dr.s are trained to treat illnesses & problems, not keep people healthy.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    I agree, eating more often with smaller portions keeps your metabolism chugging. For me there is like a 7-8 hour period b/n breakfast and lunch and I perk right up after lunch.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    Your doctor is definitely a bit quacky with that statement. Its profoundly healthier to eat every 2-3 hours with smaller portions five to six times a day than to eat three meals a day like everyone did when they were younger.

Anyways, as for suggestions I have a few. I would try eating more often for starters to see if that fixes your energy slump. Failing that I would try moving your cardio from first thing in the morning. Its more efficient when you first wake up but going after you get home from work might work better for you. You might have more energy through the day and if you run after work you might come home after the cardio tired, eat, and sleep better through the night.

It could also be a little slowdown just based on your metabolism. Big meals (not that what you described is big) can often leave you feeling a little tired afterwards as your body starts digesting the food. I think more meals in smaller portions will help. Failing that you could try moving your cardio around a bit and that may do the trick also.
    edited September 2007
    RADA wrote:
    Betsy,

I have had a minor to medium-high level weight problem since I was 13 yrs old. EVERY singe time I've changed my eating habits to include 5-6 small (300-500 calories) meals, I ate less, had better tolerance to avoid junk food, got better results in the gym, DID NOT get tired after meals, and LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT!

Is it easy, no, its not. At 1st its really hard to eat this often. All I can say about your Dr. is look at them, are they in top physical shape? My Chiropractor(he's 48, and looks like he's 33) says Dr.s are trained to treat illnesses & problems, not keep people healthy.

Yes she is top physical shape. Her thing is that I should eat 2 square meals (1 carb, 1 protein, 1 fruit, 1 veggie, 1 dairy) a day and 1 (dinner) small meal. She is a bit on the older side (for these new fangled nutritional ideas) so maybe she just hasnt kept up on her education.
    LawnMM wrote:
    Failing that I would try moving your cardio from first thing in the morning. Its more efficient when you first wake up but going after you get home from work might work better for you. You might have more energy through the day and if you run after work you might come home after the cardio tired, eat, and sleep better through the night.

Ill try adding more meals for a few weeks. Until the beginning of August I was going after work to do my cardio but what I was finding was that I would get done with work between 3:30 and 4 start thinking about everything I needed to do when I get home, decide that I would rather eat first and then go to the gym, so by the time I got home, ate dinner, changed for the gym and did a few of the things around the house I needed to do it was like 6:30 and to go to the gym then was leaving me all hyped up for bed and it was harder for me to get up the next morning. So taking all that into account every night I generally just skipped going.

Now that Im going in the morning, I am sleeping better, craving more nutritious foods (did you know it was possible to actually crave salad?), and my allergies have significantly diminished. Not to mention that when my alarm wakes me up at 4:30 my choices are 1) go to the gym or 2) go to work early. So its harder to decide not to go. Its just the after lunch slump that Im still having trouble with
    edited September 2007
    Doctor's aren't kinesiologists or dietitians. A lot of exercise and weight loss advice that comes from them isn't always on target.
    edited September 2007
    Well this morning I got up at 4:40. Ate breakfast at 5, went to the gym and now am at work eating 2 packets of instant oatmeal. I packed 1 lean cuisine, 1 frozen veggies in cheese, 1 pluot and a string cheese for lunch, Ill report back this afternoon on if I slump again.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    Let us know how it goes!
    edited September 2007
    well not quite 1 but Im feeling better today. I have a massive headache but I think that has more to do with the wall (aka new software build) that Ive been beating it against all morning than lack of nutrition :P For lunch I ate the lean cuisine, string cheese and pluot and decided I was too full to eat the frozen veggies so I htink Ill leave those in the freezer and have them tomorrow morning.
    edited September 2007
    BetsyD wrote:
    well not quite 1 but Im feeling better today. I have a massive headache but I think that has more to do with the wall (aka new software build) that Ive been beating it against all morning than lack of nutrition :P For lunch I ate the lean cuisine, string cheese and pluot and decided I was too full to eat the frozen veggies so I htink Ill leave those in the freezer and have them tomorrow morning.

HI Betsy,

Looks pretty good, my only sugestion would be to try to up your lean protien intake after you finish at the gym. After a work out your body looks for lean protien to help it "repair" the "damage" working out has done to your muscles. If you don't eat enough food to give it what it wants, it will sacrifice muscle from other areas of your body to "fix" the damages areas.

* For Everyone - Not insulting anyone's intelligence -

I've never seen it posed here how muscle tissue grows - So I wanted to add this little blurb to help define it for those who didn't know.

I wrote "repair" & "damage" in quotes up above, because this is actually what happens. When you work out, you actually cause microscopic "tears' in your muscle fibers. In response, your body rushes nutrients, mainly protien, to the "damaged" areas. This constant tear-down, and rebuild is how muscles grow, and gets defined.

If you can handle the protein powders - a good quality Soy/Whey protein combo is great for women. If not, some low fat cottage cheese, or some hard boiled egg whites will give your body the fuel it needs.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    What are some lean proteins?
    edited September 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:

Chicken, tuna, beef with <8% fat content.
    edited September 2007
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Nomad wrote:
    Chicken, tuna, beef with <8% fat content.

Yup - Tuna is an amazing lean protein source, along with a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids.

For those that can handle protein powders - I use an ION-Exchanged Whey protein powder to up my lean protein intake. Sometimes its too hard to find the time to prepare whole foods for 5 or 6 meals a day.

AHHHHH! Shill Alert!! LOL!

My favorite Whey protein powder is called ISOpure (Flash Site)

They have some great bottled drinks -(can be pricey) or tubs of the powdered whey protein. PRICES

End of Shill Alert, back to regularly scheduled Icrontic thread.... :bigggrin: