Stealth ICS

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
Hello, all! I know, I know, it's been a long (looonggg) time since I've been around. Life is insanely different. College = whoa (in a 90% good way, haha). I'm going to the UofM, with an extremely tentative major in Physics. I think I'm going to switch to either Sound Engineering or some veterinary science. We'll see :)

I do, however, have a tech question!

I have my desktop (XP Pro) as well as my laptop (MacBook Pro). I've managed to get XP to share my wired connection wirelessly with my laptop, but there's 2 problems.

The first is strength. Using the Advanced settings in the card's Device Manager profile I can reduce broadcast strength to 25% - can I go lower?

The second is that I really want it to not broadcast the SSID. I need this connection for only my laptop, so that I can get wireless in my room. It will be encrypted, but I'm more worried about it showing up randomly on other computers. I'm pretty sure they won't walk around with a Linux laptop trying to sniff out a wireless network they couldn't detect in the first place.

Any suggestions? Is there a program that can do this better than XP's ICS?

Thank you all!

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited September 2007
    entropy wrote:

Any suggestions? Is there a program that can do this better than XP's ICS?

Thank you all!

Not sure if ICS can do that. It's pretty limited. Wireless routers are pretty cheap these days and they can do all that without breathing hard. Might want to go that way. On the other hand, if you're using WPA TKIP that is awfully good encryption. Not sure you need a lot more than that.