Which processor for age-old motherboard?

edited September 2007 in Hardware
I've got an Abit AN7 Socket 462 (Socket A I think). I need a new processor for it but I don't know which and from where.I've currently got an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz. Processors for this motherboard should be dirt cheap shouldn't they? Maybe about £30? Would be happy if it was dual-core. I know I could just get a new motherboard but then I'll need a load of other new components so I just want this for now.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    the 3200+ was about the top end for socket A. There's certainly no such thing as a dual core socket A chip. I doubt you're going to find a new one, you'll have to search ebay or something for a used one.
  • edited September 2007
    Yep, the 3200 is as fast as socket 462 (socket A) ever went from AMD. The only way to go faster is to overclock it. Save your money up and start over after the first of the year when the 45 nm Intel procs are mainstream and AMD might have Phenom in the retail chain.
  • edited September 2007
    Whats Phenom? And how can I overclock my processor?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Phenom is AMD's next desktop chip to be released this winter. It's the successor to A64.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    Socket A = dead socket an ex socket the norwegian blue of sockets. I got 2 socket A mobos today complete with HSF and CPUs for nowt a sempy 2400 and duron 1200. the joys of skip shopping. :bigggrin:
  • edited September 2007
    I'll just stick with this one then. But how do I overclock it?
    edited September 2007
    You do have an opportunity to carry over most of the kit you will have if you can get an asrock 4 core dual sata or an asrock sata 2 full hdd they will take DDR ram and AGP graphics cards add an e2160 or similar it will seem like a new machine.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    With that setup your overclocking will be fairly limited. the 3200+ was the last socket A processor because it was as far as the average Barton core could be pushed. I never got mine over 2.4GHz.

But if you want to dive in, it's loads of fun and a good learning experience for future overclocking endeavors. There are some great guides out there, like this one over at the House of Help. He gets down to business about halfway down, post #3.

Otherwise, if you want to upgrade on the cheap Spike's advice is spot on (look at the Asrock boards)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Except if you get the Asrock board you upgrade yourself into a dead end immediately. You'd be in the same position you are now right off the bat.
    edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Except if you get the Asrock board you upgrade yourself into a dead end immediately. You'd be in the same position you are now right off the bat.
    Not with the 2nd board sa it is 1333 fsb :bigggrin:
  • edited September 2007
    I'm upgrading my graphics card and putting in some new RAM anyway for £120 so I'll try to overclock it a bit but the PC should last another 2-3 years and then I'll do a complete overhaul.
  • edited September 2007
    Would a Peak GeForce 7600GT 512mb AGP work ok on my motherboard?
  • edited September 2007
    Its DDR2. does the memory type affect wether it'll work with your motherboard?
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited September 2007
    You could just cut your loses and get a decent motherboard with some branded ram and a new CPU. some of the 7 series graphics cards are really quite affordable at the moment :bigggrin: Especially with the advent of budget dual cores, theres no stopping you :tongue:
  • edited September 2007
    Don't have enough money for a new MB and CPU, I'll have to wait a couple more years.