DVD r/rw Drive won't read CD's?

edited September 2007 in Hardware
I've got a Plex 716A which reads DVDs fine, but if I put any regular CD in, nothing happens. Updated firmware and XP says the drive is working fine. I assume it "should" be capable of reading normal PC-CD's right?

Comments

• scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I went through 3 plex 708-A's They use a different laser for the cd than the DVD. and they just quit working. The Drive has a self diognostic you can run , requires a blank media. Run the test look at the results and call plextor. After 3 RMA's on my drive....I will never buy another Plextor. I thought I was buying "The good stuff" I'll just stick with Lite-on or NEC from now on. Half the cost and for me they have lasted much longer.

>End rant<

Run the self diagnostic and let us know.

Scott
  • edited September 2007
    Yep, found the blinking light code on the Plex site. CD laser is dead. This totally sucks. Drive is maybe barely out of warranty (1-yr). Always used to trust Plextor as being the best, even had them when they were Texel (at least when I bought their SCSI drives). This is their first IDE drive for me and it blows!
    edited September 2007
    I would still call them , my first dead laser happened about 3 months out of warranty. I called , complained they gave me the sorry but its out of warranty spiel. I then went into my spiel about how much money I paid for their unit , compared to the competition and how I bought the plex anyway because "I thought I was buying the best " And offered them the opportunity to make the situation right. after about 10 min of this I had an RMA number. 2 months after I received it , the CD laser went on that one too. Start all over again. #3 has been running just fine for a couple of years now.

Give'em hell

And yes
    It sucks

Scott
  • edited September 2007
    Problem is, can't find my receipt! Called tech support and they don't go by manufacture dates, etc., you have to have the paper receipt! Gave up and bought a nice SATA LiteOn from Newegg. (for about 1/4 the price I paid for the crappy Plex!)
    edited September 2007
    That is one of the pluses of buying from newegg , they keep all your receipts for you. If you bought the Plex from them , go to order history and look for the order then print the receipt.

I think you will be happy with the SATA drive. They are really fast , especially drive to drive.

Thanks for checking back.

Scott
  • edited September 2007
    Pretty sure I bought the Plex at a BB BM store.