My First Overclock

DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Please dont laugh.

It's about 4 am right now. I just finished looping 3dmark2001se. Tonight i performed my first overclock ever.

Not too exciting but hey everyone starts somewhere.

Specs:
AMD 2800+ 2.08 Barton
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
2 sticks of Kingston HyperX Pc2700 512 mb
=========

Well the multipler was maxed out at 12.5 so i was forced to raise the fsb. Raised it from 166 to 173. Final Frequency: 2.17 ghz. Nothing eye opening or intriguing just my first overclock. Raised the 2800 to 3000 speeds so i'm feeling good. This isn't actually my computer.

I'll be purchasing a new one sometime soon. I plan on getting the following:
AMD 2500+ Barton 1.83
Abit NF7-s
Corsair XMS 2 sticks of 512 pc3200
Lian Li pc61
Antec 480w trupower

Anyone have any experiences with overclocking a 2500, nf7-s, or overclocking something in a lianli case please tell.

good night
:aol:

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Everyone has to start somewhere :)

I just got my Barton 2500+ up to 10x220 stable.

I would suggest lowering the multiplier and upping the FSB somemore. Knock the VCore up a notch (1.85/1.9 is considered safe), raise FSB & rinse and repeat.

I have a NF7-S and they overclock well. Start slow and build it up. Don't be scared to drop the multiplier and raise the FSB until you max out the memory capability. I used PC2700 corsair and got 200mhz stable on my 8RDA+.

Good start! Now do better! :D
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Heh. Thanks shorty, but this isn't my pc. It's my cousins i'm sure he will be greatly appreciative that i gave him a nice $80 upgrade.

The major overclocking comes when i finally buy all my parts and put together a system. In the meantime i'm gonna be reading up on all the threads in this forum. Knowledge is good.

edit: btw does shortmedia have a mIRC channel. I stopped by #short-media but it appears it is owned by paulc87. Just wondering if you guys got anything running yet.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Have a look over here http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25

The IRC channel aint going to happen.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Update: I go to download wcpuid 3.00 from download.com. I decompress it. I go to run it and i get a bsod something along the lines of nrkctl32.sys. I lowered the fsb back down to 166 and the memory to by sbd and retry to open wcpuid and again i get another bsod. I talked to park about this he seems to think it's an issue with nvidia drivers or something along the lines of that.

this pc is running direct x 9. It has a WinFast Tv2000XP tv tuner. Ati Radeon 9100 64 mb.

Any ideas?
    edited June 2003
    You have to make sure you have the latest version of wcpuid. It has something to do with the fact that it is a new chipset on the board that it doesnt recognise.

Used to bsod everytime on my KT400 board.

Try this one, see if it makes a difference
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Thanks a ton man. All seems to be working fine now. Gonna make another shot to increase the fsb.
    edited June 2003
    Not a problem mate. Just glad I could help you with your problem.

We are here to help:thumbsup:
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Funny story. I'm typing up my reply in here on how i think my oc has been successfull and boom bsod. Anyways i went from 166 to 171 to 177 to 182. At 182 I couldn't log into windows. I then lowered it to 181. I logged into windows and was in for a good 10 minutes before i bsod'ed. It's now at 180 and so far it seems to be stable. Let's pray this post doesnt get lost due to another bsod.

As a side note i loaded up wcpuid and i'm still not getting the performance rating of a 3000+ on the name string. Although my frequency is well above that of a 3000.

Current status of overclock: 12.5 * 180 = 2255.

This cpu is using the retail hsf disappointingly. So what do you guys think? 200 mhz isnt too bad for a nub like myself.

aL
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Drop the multiplier and you will get alot higher mate ;)
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Do you think my memory can handle that? (Kingston HyperX pc2700).

Update: I was loading up my bmp from wcpuid in photoshop to change it to a jpeg and the computer seemed to lock up. It wasn't a total lock up but programs sort of hung. So i dropped the fsb again and at last here is my wcpuid
    2.jpg 79.3K
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    What are your temps?

And did you up the vcore a notch or 2?
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Temps are ~ 55-57 with a retail hsf. I tried moving up the vcore to 1.80 (from 1.65) and then tried to raise the multipler but igot bsod's and i couldn't complete 3dmark2001.

right now im running 12* 184. Only thing that remained stable. I'm gonna raise the multipler and lower the fsb.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    No do the opposite. Raise the FSB cause they will help the performance of everything else besides the CPU.

Does the ASUS have locked PCI and AGP speeds. If so make them stay at 33 and 66 mhz.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Ok... well i guess i'll have to tinker with it again tonight. I know that in the bios there is a setting for agp speed, but i couldn't find anything on the pci speeds. He's got 2 pci cards so hopefully they wont weak out. I will look for more documentation about locking the pci speeds.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Anyone happen to read the article in maximum pc about overclocking? I basicly got the issue started reading and figured i would work on my cousin's pc.

I'm also gonna look to overclock his radeon 9000 64 mb. Any recommendations on what software to use? I'm thinking guru3d.

aL
  • edited June 2003
    better heatsink and you will overclock the chip further. Otherwise you just need to optimize his system for highest fsb/low multi setting that is close to 2240 and completely stable.

Memory for your own machine - check out the best memory money can buy (cheap too) 1 and 2
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    as for the PCI speed, it's LOCKED at 33mhz, you can't change it, and it will not change, that's why you couldn't find the option to keep it at 33mhz, and the AGP is adjustable.

I say it might be the temps are limiting your OC, try a better hsf if you have a chance.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I was going to say the same seversphere, If you get a better h/s and fan on that system then I would bump it up even further. And I think that the pci and agp speeds are locked, so agp should be 32 bits and pci 32 or 64 right?
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited June 2003
    DoM-aL said

edit: btw does shortmedia have a mIRC channel. I stopped by #short-media but it appears it is owned by paulc87. Just wondering if you guys got anything running yet.

Hell man, we'd be glad to help if you would stop on by.