Icrontic on Team Fortress 2

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I hope so.... :D
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    <
    also not impressed with L4D.. Tf2 for me.. although I don't play as much as I should :/
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I mean first of all 4v4 is kinda lame. Secondly I thought playing infected sucked. Unless you really know what you are doing or collaborate with the other 3 people your just gonna get blasted real quick. Co-op is fun though.

TF2 isn't going anywhere. I expect in 2 weeks (or close to xmas) TF2 will be back in full swing. Right now people are cramming with school/work/holidays and finals are right around the corner.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    jared wrote:
    Right now people are cramming with school/work/holidays and finals are right around the corner.

this
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    jared wrote:
    I don't think TF2 needs to worry about L4D.

I played shortly tonight and found "versus" mode extremely boring. Could of just been the map.

TF24L

ah maybe cause ya ragequit 3 minutes into the game?
    edited December 2008
    jared wrote:
    I mean first of all 4v4 is kinda lame. Secondly I thought playing infected sucked. Unless you really know what you are doing or collaborate with the other 3 people your just gonna get blasted real quick. Co-op is fun though.

TF2 isn't going anywhere. I expect in 2 weeks (or close to xmas) TF2 will be back in full swing. Right now people are cramming with school/work/holidays and finals are right around the corner.

L4D isnt going anywhere. Honestly you didnt even give it a chance. And as long as Valve puts the content out for L4D like it did for TF2 the first year, it will be around for a long time.

Go play your TF2, the skilled players will be playing the more challenging L4D. :rarr:
    edited December 2008
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I said it before, I'll say it again. TF2 will have far greater longevity with IC than L4D will. The game is hardly 2 weeks old, just give it time.

L4D won't work that great at our LAN parties anyways, not at the size they are.

Wrong again. L4D will work great because you can have teams of 4 going tournament style against eachother. I read through the "setting up a local server" last night and its quite simple (even includes a video) so it would be easy to have 3-4 L4D local servers at the lan with an L4D Tournament going.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    They are both fun, but with any game it can get old, Left 4 Dead is just new so it is stealing the spotlight, as any new game does. I personally can't say either is better or worse because they are different games.
    edited December 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    Go play your TF2, the skilled players will be playing the more challenging L4D. :rarr:

hahaha yeah ok. Let's hop in a Q3 or CS server, you know - games that actually take skill, then we can talk. :rolleyes:

And no I didn't rage quit, the 10 second lag spikes were more than I could tolerate.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Why are we talking about L4D in the TF2 thread???
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    jared wrote:
    hahaha yeah ok. Let's hop in a Q3 or CS server, you know - games that actually take skill, then we can talk. :rolleyes:

Spray and pray games don't take much skill.
    edited December 2008
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Spray and pray games don't take much skill.
    You can spray and pray all you want. Just give me the rail gun/AWP and you're done son.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Real men use the USP. not the AWP.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Desert Eagle is all I need.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    What is this gun bullshit? Give me a freaking knife and put me in a gun game server :D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Wow, really? TF2 dying? I'll be damned if I don't play the game for as long as I have waited for it to come out. Which is a long time...balls.

Anywho, I don't see why L4D and TF2 are mutually exclusive. Most likely the recent dropoff in online action is coming from the busyness of the season(not to mention crazy WoW). The smaller group of people online does seem to favor L4D. However if people are so lame as to be only able to play one game a time, then I guess they will be missed.

And for the record Scout/Deagle ftw
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Scout only.
    edited December 2008
    I wish people could play multiple games instead of just one exclusively. Maybe some day.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I really, really don't get this L4D whining....

4-8 people at a time can play L4D. That's it.

We have ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY members in the {IC} Steam group. The biggest problem I see is this: Nobody ever wants to spend the 10 minute time investment to kickstart the server. It seems like it's always my job to do that.

People look at the IC TF2 server and say "oh it's empty" and then go play on NUBFORTZ 24/7 FAST RESPAWN 2FORT PARTY MODE INSTAGIB and wonder why IC never plays together.

When I want to kickstart {IC}, i sign on, and invite 10-20 people. 3-5 will join right away and then it fills with pubs and other IC members within 10 minutes. It doesn't take much.

L4D has NO effect on this. Why all this hostility?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    vag(sand)ina
    edited December 2008
    I'm a very hostile person.

Also, I like playing on NUBFORTZ 24/7 FAST RESPAWN 2FORT PARTY MODE INSTAGIB because Keebler is always there.
    edited December 2008
    On Monday I did just that... I tickled 4 or 5 folks that were in L4D and 5 or 6 that were logged in but not playing anything. My response... Those in L4D didn't reply. The few that did had just started after playing TF2 with me for 10 minutes. Those that were not playing stated they were about to go to bed or had other things to do...

So, those that are playing L4D chose to not join TF2 on IC's server. It not hostility against L4D, it's the ignoring of TF2 by those playing L4D. I missed the Demo and I cannot afford to but L4D at this point. If I did get L4D, would I be accepted into a group when I know absolutely nothing about the game except for the outstanding IC articles. Seems like the core L4D started with the Beta or soon after and now have a good grasp of how to play.

What I've heard is that some people feel like L4D is a game that team work is paramount to success. If you are the new guy in the group of 4, the group will need to take the easier levels or die.

With TF2, 12 players per team makes one or two crappy players less critical to the success of the team. I have fun with TF2 regardless of new content because I still have achievements to earn and I am refining my skills with some of my less used characters. With my schedule, I use to login and see 10 people on the IC server and I knew I could get my 60/90 minutes solid. Now I login and sit for a few minutes and wait then find a server to play on. I still get my time in but not with my IC family. I love you guys... I mean I love TF2 with you guys. ;)
    edited December 2008
    side note... I am normally the guy that sticks with a game to learn to be as good as I can (which is about 75% of Thrax, Prime, and the other outstanding guys). I wanted to play Battlefield: Desert Combat Mod and then BF2 log after everyone else went onto something else. So what I'm saying is that it takes me a long time to switch. I am just now feeling like I am a decent TF2 player. I can make a difference with any class to some extent. If someone needs to be sniped, I have a decent chance of getting it done at least once.

The thought of starting another game from the ground up is frightening... given how the game is more about being a good FPS person than TF2....
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I'll probably try to get some TF2 going the next few nights, it's been a month or so since I played more than a few minutes. I'm not sure if I'll be picking up L4D or not. There are rarely times I can absolutely dedicate 60+ minutes to a team game and it sounds like L4D is the kind of game where that is required.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I've played one of the four campaigns of L4D so far and haven't played since. Trust me when I say you'll be accepted.

Of course people in the middle of a game of L4D aren't gonna jump ship to play TF2. Not only would that be rude to their teammates, but you just can't do it. You don't want to bail in the middle of any game you're playing.

I think you're making sweeping assumptions considering you've never played. I think if you tried it, you'd say "man this is fun" :D
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I am going to be playing TF2 all night tomorrow. I will start on the {IC} server so that IC peeps can join me.

Also: how do you use the slap command? I feel like doing some admin abuse to weezer next time he is in game.
    edited December 2008
    When I want to kickstart {IC}, i sign on, and invite 10-20 people. 3-5 will join right away and then it fills with pubs and other IC members within 10 minutes. It doesn't take much.
    That actually hasnt worked for the past, ummm... 3 nights. It's usually Qch, Canti, me, Thrall, and pigflipper. (Sry if I missed anyone.) We have played for hours on the IC server with just us 4-5. No one joins.
    edited December 2008
    pigflipper wrote:
    Also: how do you use the slap command? I feel like doing some admin abuse to weezer next time he is in game.
    Not unless I do it first. Remember, I know console commands. :ninja:

P.S. DOUBLE POST!!!
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Oh, but what if I use hlsw to pwn j00 ass?
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    I plan on loading TF2 tomorrow night. As for L4D, I bought it and played it but I just haven't played either game in at least a week, no read here in playing one over the other because really, the TF2 fire still burns bright.