no icons start bar but a folder menu

edited September 2007 in Hardware
Need Some help..
Okay so this morning i reseted my PC then i logged in to my user name, and all my icons and start bar was gone BUT i had my desktop menu open,right when i logged on it was there, with all the folders in a sidebar, i can play games ,use firefox and use any program form the folders, but i want my icons and start bar back, what happen? I can not right click also.

The reason i resettled my PC cause my wireless mouse stooped working when i was playing a game.

When i press CTRL + ALT + DL i go to new task and type Explorer.exe
and when i press enter the Desktop Folder comes up with folders on the sidebar... now what happen

i can get to Control Panel form new task and make a new account and everything is fine there... but what happen on my other account with icons and stuff.

Is all the icons and start bar replace with one big folder somehow?

Comments

• edited September 2007
    also i tried this in safe mode still no icons just the big folder menu.. and

when i log on to a diffenet account all the icons are there but it loads supper fast and no start up programs load like AIM,Steam, Norten anti virus anything like that not loading right when i log in like it ussaly does
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like a corrupt user profile... If you do not mind losing all your custom settings (icon location, background, toolbar locations, etc.) you can always delete/rename the NTUSER.DAT in that profile. You would need to login to another account, change folder settings to show all hidden files, and then browse to your corrupted account directory (c:/documnets and settings/[profile name]). Find the NTUSER.DAT and rename it to something like NTUSER.OLD. Log off and login to the bad account... if it looks fine then you know that the profile was corrupt.

BTW, You will not loose files...
  • edited September 2007
    hey thanks, but when i go to (c:/documnets and settings/[profile name]) i cant fine the file..

i found a index dat file in the cookies folder
    edited September 2007
    Do you have the folder settings set to view hidden files?

Open my Computer then tools menu> Folder Options> View Tab> check "Show Hidden Files and Folders" & uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

Then look in c:/documents and settings/[profile name]
  • edited September 2007
    Okay for some reason i cant open Folder Options and i cant open the task bar and start menu program also.. But i went on my other account and fixed the settings and tried to open the Bad account folder and it said access it denied...i check and opened my other account and i saw the file but how do i open my account on the good account to get access

or how can i open the folders program on the bad account? its the only program i cant open...
  • edited September 2007
    okay i found the file on my other account but when i try to rename it, it says Cannot rename this file its be used my anthter program or user

or what now?
    edited September 2007
    OK... the second account has to be an administrator account.