Mozilla wants to reproduce success with Thunderbird

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
According to statistics, there are well over 1 billion people that use the internet. With a large percentage of those people having e-mail in one form or another. There are also lots of ways to get e-mail, from the one(s) you get with your ISP, the one(s) at work and to the many different online methods like Hotmail, G-mail, Yahoo, AOL, etc... Needless to say there is a large market for good e-mail software and Mozilla is pushing to get in on it.

<blockquote>"We're increasing Mozilla's focus with people and money, and we're hoping to use that to create something better, much as we do in the Firefox space...for everyone interested in Internet and e-mail communications," Baker said.</blockquote>

With the real success Mozilla had at penetrating the web browser market they are convinced they have what it takes to go bat with their mail client software Thunderbird. Most e-mail users are forced to use what ever mail client their work or there provider allows. Microsoft has had the market for a very long time with their offerings of Outlook and Outlook express and while Thunderbird might become a successful replacement for the latter Microsoft doesn't see a threat for their well positioned Outlook.

I for one am sick of Microsoft's bloated email client and relish the thought that a real competitor might be coming to fruit.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Lets hope so, I shall start watching one :)

I am sick to death of Outlook (especially bloatware 2007!)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Well, until thunderbird becomes more than a email client I won't be using it. Sure, its lighter and quicker. But outlook organizes and schedules my week, I get my exchange accounts and my personal accounts. I just like outlook 2007 more. Call it what you want, but I like it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2007
    Thunderbird/Sunbird/Lightningbird/whatever have been trying to get this calender, email hybrid client working for a while now and the progress has been pretty much dead in the water. Thunderbird is good, as a replacement to Outlook Express. But in the work place replacing OE, with another version of OE is meaningless. Even in many homes now people are using calenders schedulers and tasks at a growing rate.

I can't wait till the day there is a viable replacement for Outlook that can attach to an Exchange server with no compromises. Evolution is currently getting close, but it doesn't work well on windows and has several annoying limitations that it has to make when attaching to an Exchange server.

Go Thunderbird.