CPU Cache

broady81broady81 Member
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I'm building a new PC and cannot decide between the AMD 4800+ X2 and AMD 5200+ X2 - I dont mind having a go overclocking, and so edging towards the 4800+ because of it's 65nm manufacture, but do you think the extra 512kb of cache will have a large impact on performance ? It's £15ish more :rolleyes:

Comments

• edited September 2007
    If socket AM2 follows along like socket 939 procs, you will see a bit of gain in performance, depending on what you are doing. I'd guess a 3-15% performance gain at the same processor speed, depending on the application. But if the 4800 X2 is 65nm and the 5200 X2 is 90nm, you will probably be able to overclock the 4800 enough to more than make up the difference. I can't give you a definitive answer on this though as I went with Intel C2D for my last few builds instead of AM2.
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited September 2007
    I'm wondering if I should go C2D too, I mean i just automatically just went AMD/Nvidia because of my current system, I suppose there's no point asking which is better, i'll check to see which has the most bang for buck :rolleyes:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Intel is better by a long, long shot. :\
  • edited September 2007
    ^^^... What he said! :D