SATA Disaster

edited September 2007 in Hardware
My PC and been giving me a "cannot ____ the path is too deep" error when trying to access folders on a secondary drive when in windows explorer. So I installed a hard drive utility program to see if theres was something wrong with the drive. After finding the probable cause for this issue which could of been a hard drive cable not connected completely or bad cable I got into my box to check the connections and or replace the cable. Here's the key point to my problem, my master drive is a SATA hard drive and is connected to this flimsy connection on my ASUS P5P800 SE motherboard. Being in a tight spot to get at everything I bumped the SATA connection on the MB and to make a long story short I busted one of the pins that make that connection. After screaming, crying and damn near making myself sick I decided to try connecting the hard drive to the second SATA connection on the MB and try booting. No luck, I even tried looking in the bios to see if theres was a way of switching it to be the master. Still no luck, I've been all over ASUS's site and cannot find anything that will help me. NOTHING!

I'm getting desperate, I'm in between day jobs, just hired a lawyer to fight my unemployment benefits denial, I need my computer working since I'm a part time photographer and use it to at least do some photography jobs to keep my head above water financially. Do I have to replace the MB? Having problems with the SATA connections before I'm tempted to go back to IDE but the thought of reinstalling everything is depressing. Ideally I'd like to be able to get it operational through the second SATA connection. Is it possible?

HELP!

Comments

• edited September 2007
    Disaster averted, finally found my misplaced MB manual and discovered how to get the second SATA connection to work.