Is it crazy to get an AM2 mobo and keep my pc3200 ram?

edited September 2007 in Hardware
I'm feeling like my san diego 3700 processor on my socket 939 motherboard might be due for an upgrade but i just bought 2 gb of low latency ram for this setup and don't want to do cpu/mobo and ram all at the same time. Would a new AM2 motherboard and processor be seriously hindered if i just used my ddr 400 ram with it?

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2007
    Unfortunately, the memory controller is integrated into the processor core, and DDR memory can not be used with any AM2 processors. Upgrading to AM2 or Core2 would both require a new CPU/Memory. If you need an upgrade, I would wait for the Phenom and Intel Penryn releases and then make a decision.
  • edited September 2007
    In that case maybe i'll go the super cheap route and get a socket 939 X2 4200 Toledo for 70 bucks to replace my 3700 san diego and just keep everything else. I feel like i'm missing out a bit by not having a dual core. That way I shouldn't even need to fresh install windows.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2007
    Hey, for 70 bux, can't go wrong :) I went from a single core 939 Opteron 148 to a 4200+ as well not too long ago. There are a lot more applications taking advantage of the second core now as well.