Can Ubuntu Run Regular Computer games?

edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
Can Ubuntu run all the programs Windows XP can run like all my games and stuff?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    maybe. what "games and stuff" specifically.
  • edited September 2007
    New Games that are coming out
    Old Games like BF1942,DCF, BF2, NFS (Need For Speed), Microsoft Office programs, etc.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2007
    Sure it can run "regular computer games".

Oh wait you mean games in windows binary format, well you can run older ones under api compability layers such as wine but wine only has reverse enginered up to direct X 8.1.

Also office is probably the most difficult app to get working under wine as it requires half the fonts from a windows machine, about 20 dll's, internet explorer 3 then upgraded to 4 then upgraded to 5 then upgraded to 6.

If you don't want a hassle you will just play games that have native linux versions, Example anything from epic, Anything from ID, and soon to be valves games.
  • edited September 2007
    Ill probably just use it as a Dual-Boot option on this computer awhile, to test it out. If I like it enough I may use it on my new computer but probably not considering that my Dx9c games probably won't run.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    You can play most Blizzard and Valve games under WINE without the dlls but you will need the fonts. Epic and Id games run natively. EA Games don't run well under WINE due to their counter-cheating software.

When in doubt, check http://appdb.winehq.org/

-drasnor :fold: