Real brainteaser problem (Please Help)

edited September 2007 in Hardware
First things first, thanks for reading this, alright well i'll get straight in to it. I'm building a computer for a friend of my dads and we bought a bunch of brand spanking new parts the other day. Today we have the friend over who wants to learn a thing or two and we've been building it. Well we finished and we turn on the computer and the fans work perfectly fine, power supply obviously works as the fans work and the DVD drive light turns on. The problem is that the motherboard does not make any beeping noises whatsoever leading me to think that it is stuffed up some how, the cable from the monitor to the motherboard (motherboard has onboard video card) does not detect any signal, well it knows its plugged in but its not getting anything from it. The DVD burner tray will not open leading me again to think that the motherboard is screwed. So i take out the brand new motherboard and put in an old one from another computer that i know works fine. This time it beeps and the fans are going and everything, but the DVD drive will still not open and the Monitor is receiving a signal....a bunch of red and purple lines flashing everywhere continuously. So now I'm stuck, two motherboards aren't working and its being all weird. Just now my dad found out that the RAM from the new motherboard wasn't connected properly so that may have been why it wasn't loading but I'm not entirely convinced. Could anyone help me with this problem or just tell me which parts to isolate or something til i can figure out what to do? Thanks in advance

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Did you remember to plug the +4 auxiliary connector into the board next to the CPU socket?
  • edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Did you remember to plug the +4 auxiliary connector into the board next to the CPU socket?

Yeah thats definitely in
  • edited September 2007
    Problem solved: Took it back to the shop, they confirmed some suspicions of mine, the heatsink wasn't on correctly due to a fault on the manufacturing end so its going to take 10 days to get a replacement. Thanks for anyone who helped.