Upgrading without going to AM2

edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hello,

Im currently using a single core 3700+ on my pc. The load times are horrible, so i need to upgrade. I don't have the cash to go to AM2.

The leap to AM2 would cost me around $320. If i just upgrade to a dual core 4200+ on the 939 socket it will cost me around $70.

So I ask you, is it worth the extra $250 to get to AM2? Or will a Dual Core 4200+ run significantly faster than a Single Core 3700+.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I recently did the same exercise and decided to stay with the 939 platform for a while longer. My next major upgrade will probably be to an Intel platform anyway.

See if you can get an Opteron chip instead of the 4200+
    The 165 is more or less in your price range and has a lot of headroom for overclocking.
    If you not into overclocking then the pricier 170 would be your best bet.
    You should see a huge performance boost with either of those chips.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2007
    I think we need some more information about your current setup. How much RAM do you have? What type of graphics card do you have? and what do you use your PC for?

The difference between a 3700+ and a 4200+ will be very small unless you do a lot of multitasking. Single threaded performance will actually be better on the 3700+ due to additional cache and same clock speed.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    If you can find a FX57 or even a 4800+ X2 for that 939 socket... you can pick them up rather cheaply these days... well under $200 that is :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    If you can find a FX57 or even a 4800+ X2 for that 939 socket... you can pick them up rather cheaply these days... well under $200 that is :)

True that, I was about to part with my mobo, mem, and 4800+ for $110 all together.