Lost DVD/CD drives

Rob-GRob-G Edinburgh, Scotland
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Both my DVD/CD drives have gone AWOL - probably last use was a couple of weeks ago. I'm using XP Home on a Dell Dimension 5000. One is a CD-RW and the other a DVD/CD.

Device Manager shows both with the Yellow Exclamation flag, and Properties shows a Code 39 fault (missing/corrupt driver !). The 'Troubleshooter' also isn't working (" ..a system service is not running").

Running PC Wizard shows them both in 'System', but 'Drives' does not register them.

From the part numbers coming up in Device Manager /Properties, they are both Hitachi devices.

They are both just running up any CD loaded with the read light flashing briefly and then shutting down.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
  • Rob-GRob-G Edinburgh, Scotland
    edited October 2007
    Many thanks for the link to MS KB - plucked up courage and tackled this last night, but .. and there's always a but !

The MS KB instructions tell me to remove the 'UpperFilters' and 'LowerFilters' entries from the Class set. Mine only has 'LowerEntries' but it also has 'LowerEntries_1'. Do I remove both ?

Thanks

Rob
    edited October 2007
    I advise to just run the guided help tool in the green box. Far quicker than scrounging through the registry. :)
    edited October 2007
    Aw - that was cheating !! I wanted to do the manly thing and fight dragons !
    At least I did discover how to backup the Registry - just better go off and do it again!

Very many thanks - problem solved and the drives are back again.

I had run Netstat about a fortnight ago and found a program that I didn't use that was polling the net rather too frequently for my liking. I removed it and suspect that was the guilty party. I can't now remember what it was which is unfortunate as it should be black-listed !

Thanks again, Thrax.

Cheers

Rob
    edited October 2007
    No problem. Enjoy your stay at Icrontic -- you will be staying, won't you?
    edited October 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    No problem. Enjoy your stay at Icrontic -- you will be staying, won't you?

Yep - not sure I will be able to contribute very much but I will browse around and put in my pennyworth if possible.

Rob
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited October 2007
    Welcome to Icrontic :wave: Hope you enjoy your stay here (Another Northerner :thumbsup:)