No power whatsoever

edited October 2007 in Hardware
I guess I should have seen it coming, what with the problems I've been having with my computer shutting down by itself or going into Standby mode and not budging, but I tried using my laptop (Fujitsu, sorry I have no idea on the model number and it's not quite a year old) a couple of days ago and there is no power at all. No light showing the power cord is attached. Nothing. I have to plug it into an adaptor because I'm in Iraq. Another female plugged her extension cord into my adaptor a couple of days before my laptop went kaput. Could she have shorted it out? Nothing else plugged in (which is just my alarm clock) went awry.

The laptop does tend to get hot on the bottom of it, so when I'm not actively using it, I turn it over to let it cool. It tends to shutdown by itself, but the blue power light is always flashing so I just have to press it to get it back on (I think it goes to sleep), but now there is no power at all.

I've tried taking the battery out and having it plugged in, plugging it in with the battery in, and unplugging it with the battery in. Nothing is working. I also used air to "dust" it.

Can anyone tell me what they think may be the problem? I have some things on there not backed up yet and I'd love to get to them (I'm making a movie for my daughters). Even if I have to buy a new computer, I still want that stuff. Could I get it extracted from my hard drive?

Thank you!