Need Ideas..

broady81broady81 Member
edited October 2007 in Folding@Home
Me and another friend found common ground in our new obsession with folding. He happens to go to the same college at me, and we realised there an untapped resource in the hundereds of PC's at school. Now there a few major problems with this that are holding us back. Assuming we could get the OK from the administrators, how could we run it without them having to change all the images installed on the PC's ? Live linux on a flash stick (x60 odd :cool2:) might work, but can you re-start unfinished WU's on a Live Distro ? Unfortunately we cannot install the program, even as a service, because they run a program which resets the registry and restores the image after each restart (DeepFreeze it's called) :sad2: I doubt they would change all the images because of us. Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated (they'll be folding for Team 93 of course :bigggrin:). It going to require some skill to pull this off...

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    TT might be the one to talk you on this.. I am sure he will chime in/ I just noticed you on the stats page here working you way up :)
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Probably just install it over the network and would ghost to each computer. However, I'd imagine when a user logs out the WU would be lost since everything is wiped clean.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Second partition where all the folding info is located. GHOST the c-drive only. The image must already have F@H set to run off the second partition and have the unique F@H ID wiped (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PandeGroup\Folding@home\UserID). That way each PC will have to ask for a new one but they would be unique.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2007
    If this is what I think it is, I think you may need to check with the administration for approval and that road usually inolves the IT department. They may have suggestions on distribution.
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited October 2007
    Indeed, we are formulating a way to present it for some time next week. Hopefully if we can give them solid idea's, the IT department will allow us to do it. They're usually OK with me and the other guy considering we are the only two Computing students in the entire school :bigggrin: Hopefully we can get it :wink: