A few quick raid 0 questions

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited October 2007 in Hardware
I hope you don't mind me posting these. I saw the raid thread, but I figured that these few quick questions could be easily answered (I did read some of the thread and already got a few questions answered..so I'm not COMPLETELY lazy :D)

1) I read that the drives used in raid 0 should be as similar as possible. I will be using a 160gb seagate perpendicular drive and a 120gb seagate drive, both are sata2. Do you foresee any problems with this combination? (yes I know I'll be losing 40gb, I don't mind)

2) What are some good raid0/sata2 cards? I have slots for pci, and the two shorter pci-x (sorry I can't remember which they are, I just know they aren't x16..I can quickly check my mobo manual if it is important which pci-x slots they are)

3) How well does raid0 work with Windows Vista? If it doesn't work well at all then I still want to try it with XP. I'm guessing it should be the same as XP since the OS is just installed on the raid..I'm just wondering if there are any problems with drivers, etc.

4) If a drive happens to go bad, will I basically be screwed short of paying somebody an insane amount of cash for fixing the drive? aka: If I have something data-wise to lose that I don't want lost..should I just avoid raid0 all together?

5) Will the raid card put off an extraordinary amount of heat? I'm guessing two sata drives working at the same time will put off some decent heat, but it would be nice to know about the card as well. I'm running pretty high temperatures as it is (at least until winter :) ) so I need to be prepared.

Well..thanks to anybody who bothers to help me out :)
Oh and you don't need to go in detail on any of these, just make it short and sweet so I don't feel like I've made you sit and waste too much time on me, haha :p I'm just interested in doing this for the experience..and if it works out the boost in speed will surely be awesome

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    1) No real issues.
    2) Promise still makes some good ones for entry-level experimentation, but Areca is where it's at.
    3) Raid works fine with Vista if it's all hardware. Some of these motherboards are software/hardware mix, and it's buggy.
    4) You're f'd. I strongly suggest avoiding raid0.
    5) Not a big deal.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Question 4 is the most important one: You'll be doubling your chances of heartbreak, for nowhere near double the performance. In fact, performance benefit on all but high end caching hardware raid controllers is negligible.

Raid 0 is a horrible idea and it should die in a fire.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2007
    Raid 0 is a horrible idea and it should die in a fire.

Haha, not very subtle are we?
    Well thanks guys, I appreciate it.
    I'll probably give it a try anyway..just to get the experience.
    Or maybe I'll even try a different raid since I doubt raid0 will be used very often where I eventually want to get a job at :rolleyes2
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    Raid-0 will almost certainly never ever EVER be used in a business setting. try raid-1 or raid-5.

The rule of thumb to use regarding raid-0 is simply... Never put anything on a raid-0 volume that you can not afford to lose.