Can't open "Services" on a Gateway laptop.

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
I did a full reformat / reload on a Gateway MX3560U laptop, using it's supplied recovery CD. Windows XP Home, SP2.

I downloaded all my usual updates and things from Microsoft, installed Adaware and AVG free, along with a Sygate firewall as usual.

Part of my standard overhaul proceedure is to go into the Services screen and modify a few services, like RPC Call and DCOM, so those annoying little viruses don't start the 1 minute shutdown counter. I reset the 3 options to restart the service.

BUT - on this laptop, I can't get into the Services screen. I click, double click, and right click and select "Open", but the Services window will not open!

I shut down, started, and restarted the thing a few times, all with the same result.

Does Gateway lock out user access to the Services screen to prevent ignorant computer users from going in and screwing the computer up?

Is there any way around it?

Need to know by 4 pm this afternoon. If not, no big deal, my usual mods won't get done, but I'd like to give it back to its owner knowing that things were done right.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Start -> run -> services.msc

Does that open?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I tried doing that, and it did nothing. The Run window would just disappear after about a minute.

I took the computer back and the owner was happy with it, but if you can think of any other possible solutions, I'd like to hear about them. Who knows if and when I might find this problem again.