Looking for software to record and playback RS-232 serial control scripts

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited October 2007 in Science & Tech
Hey folks,

I am wondering if anyone knows of any software that will:

- record a stack of RS-232 commands coming from computer to a piece of specialized hardware

- allow me to save that as a script

- allow me to compile that script to a batch or executable file that I can then schedule via Task Scheduler.

Basically I am working with some gear that is currently controlled manually through a software interface. I want to be able to record the commands it sends, and then save that in a way that I can schedule a batch of commands to happen at a certain time of day.

I have some software that lets me record the serial data to a log file, but does not let me save that in any format that would be scriptable.

Any ideas?

Dexter...

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Hey Dex.... This stuff is WAY beyond my skill but maybe someone will be smart enough to help.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited October 2007
    Dexter wrote:
    I have some software that lets me record the serial data to a log file, but does not let me save that in any format that would be scriptable.

Why don't you write a Java/C#/C++ program that sends the text file line by line to the serial port? You can then schedule your program with the task scheduler.