harddrive performance

shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
edited October 2007 in Hardware
I have an ata 100 20 gb hdd on my system wich is a 2 ghz 768 mb ram system

but in HD tune i only see about 20 MB/sec shouldnt i see more? Its low performance is really noticeable at startup. Ans I have very few startup programs

so what could be the problem

oh yea i checked and its not running in pio mode and its running in mode 5(ata100)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    What is the hard drive's model?

Frankly, your computer is very old, and traditional ATA-100 drives top out at about 40MB/s on a very good board.
  • shackwrrrshackwrrr Lima, oh
    edited October 2007
    its a quantum fireball lct2 (20gb)

I tested my other other hd on the same cable (WD 600) and its transferring at max 44 mb/sec

so why isnt my other one transferring at that?

i also tested to fad spots and none came up.
    edited October 2007
    heres the two screenshots. the quantum seems to have an extremely slow burst rate

id be happy with what the wd makes but I have no HD clone program and teh fact that the wd is supposed to be 60 gb and shows up as 33gb just scares me
    edited October 2007
    Quantum_Fireball_LCT2.gif

i found that on hd tunes site so it seems that its normal for that harddrive
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    Because its an older slower drive. Also how full it is impacts the speed as the outside edge will transfer faster so that might impact it.

Tex
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Not to mention how fragmented it is. I defrag my drives monthly.
    edited October 2007
    it was freshly defragmented
    but anyway. I cloned my harrdrive onto the earilier mentioned western digital but no matter how i put the jumpers i could not get the drive to come up as a master even if it was the only one in the computer