Accessing another comp from far away.

PsycoKillrPsycoKillr Mason City, Iowa
edited October 2007 in Hardware
OK I have this problem. my computer at home is being accessed by 3 ppl who i do not want on it. i'm miles away but i would like to get into my computer and atleast block them from opening folders that they do not need to open. i keep telling them to stay off but when the cats away the mice will play. they have already deleted the few pictures i had of my father that i took just days before he died and i don't want them to delete anything else. does anyone know how i can do it without me being called a "hacker" seeing as how I'm not?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Can you ever get direct access to the machine?
    In that case multiple accounts with password security would do it.
    You could do this remotely with pcanywhere, but you would first have to install it on the machine in question.
  • edited October 2007
    You'll have to go directly to the machine. Boot in as administrator and create a new username for yourself with a good password. Relog as your old username and move all the files that belong to you into a temp folder like c:\temp. Relog into the new username with password and move those files into your My Documents folder.

Make sure that the administrator password is good/unguessable. Make sure all other users do not have administrator priveleges.

Once the above is done, they will no longer be able to access or even see your files. The only thing they could do to hurt you then is to format/reinstall windows.

My advice for important files, get an external drive to keep them on and lock that drive up somewhere (safe in closet or something) or take it with you on trips.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    He just needs to add a password to his account.

No need for a new account and copying them to temp and then back to the new user etc..
  • edited October 2007
    Tex wrote:
    He just needs to add a password to his account.

Setup new users for whoever else gets on or make them use the guest account and ,make sure NO ONE ELSE has admin privledges if this is his computer and set his files to private.

No need for a new account and copying them to temp and then back to the new user etc..
    resetpassword.jpg

You're right, shows me for not reading the entire warning when I try to change my password from the Manage Users window...
    edited October 2007
    Have you ever done this before?

I don't need to memorize the message. I actually know exactly what happens and what needs to be done. Which I might also add has very little to do with that message.

Cheers

Cowboy
  • edited October 2007
    Dude, harsh post.

I'm 43, built, rebuilt, repaired thousands of computers, password problems have only cropped up twice.

My method of creating a new user and moving his sensitive data allows the OTHER users to continue using the old user and still having access to THEIR data.

I still suggest the OP use my method.

Edit: OP just needs to make sure to remove admin priveleges from his old username.
    edited October 2007
    It seems harsh perhaps because you didn't grasp the problem at hand. I appologize!

I think you need to reread his original problem. You assumed you knew what he needed without listening to his problem.

You said "My method of creating a new user and moving his sensitive data allows the OTHER users to continue using the old user and still having access to THEIR data.
    I still suggest the OP use my method".

But he said "OK I have this problem. my computer at home is being accessed by 3 ppl who i do not want on it."

Now with it broken down like that can you see how simple this is and why your solution was not the best one?

His computer is being accessed by three people he does not want on it at all.

He just needs passwords on his users. Your method ignored his problem. HE DOES NOT WANT THEM ON HIS COMPUTER PERIOD! You created a more complicated solution allowing them access when he wants THEM OFF HIS COMPUTER?

He does not need a new user created. He does not need to mess with privledges or copying data around etc.... He simply wants them LOCKED OUT of his computer. They do not have permission to use HIS computer and have NO rights to any data they have stored there without his permission anyway.

He needs a password on all his accounts. Thats all. But I would bet he knows this already. His REAL question was how to accomplish this remotely. And we have not solved that problem for him. I would tell him to have a friend or relative do this for him if he is out of town. It would take them about two minutes.

Cheers

Tex