Team Fortress 2 problems with Direct 3D

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
I tried to go practice yesterday morning and look what I got....
Don't know what glitched my game but I couldn't get it back running.
Ran fine Last time I played Thurs night. And HL2 deathmatch runs fine through the Steam engine.
I checked all my video drivers--deleted and reinstalled ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB (What a nightmare), checked dxdrivers (all DX drivers are Final Retail), game update, steam update, defragged game files and HD, finally deleted steam and all my games and redownloaded Steam & TF2 Twice-- 2 pm to 9 pm then from 1 am to 8 am this morning. Steam DL's really suck...Anywhere from 24 to 220 Mb/s 220 being the highest and most of the time it was around 120. It would fluctuate from there to the lowest then the highest. etc,etc,etc. I have a DSL 6.0 Extreme connection! I'm sure you don't want to hear all of it. I worked on this from 10 am yesterday till 1 am this morning. Finally I couldn't do anymore.
After reinstalling all video and game setup again I'm going to try running it this morning.. Wish me luck.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    So now that makes me, thrax, AND hawk that have had major problems with TF2, so much so that we've had to completely reinstall steam and all steam apps :-/
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Still can't get it to load...... Now I'm getting a can't load D3D device.
    Everythings up to date but now I try the Test Direct 3D in the dxdiag panel and now it says
    D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
    D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
    D3D9 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
    Is there any way to get opengL package and force the pc to use those?
    I've been working on this over 18 hrs now!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk
    is weary of starting up TF2
    Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    is weary of starting up TF2
    edited October 2007
    Now it won't start on Kyle's computer either :( wtf.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Yeah... If this is a bug with the latest patch, I think I'm gonna wait for the next patch.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    eek that sounds serious and launch is just around the corner, i hope they have a team on this.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Now it won't start on Kyle's computer either :( wtf.

I guess he got it working, since he punched me to death last night during a round on 2fort :)

I'd never been punched in this game before.
    edited October 2007
    The solution on Kyle's computer was to reinstall the video drivers :wtf:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Oh great, an 8 year old can stay awake later than I can.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The solution for me was to delete <i>everything</i> about steam with a vengeance.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Got the problem fixed and here it is in case anyone else has D3D problems with ATI cards. Mine is a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB.
    My first problem was invalid boot.ini and I couldn't get into safe mode to delete all ati related stuff..
    Fixed that by getting into repair console with the article Thrax wrote.
    Fixing XP in eight steps. Thanks Thrax.
    Once I got windows to boot I edited/copied a new boot.ini and went into msconfig/boot.ini to make sure it was there. Checked to make sure it started with the modified boot.ini and it starts fine now.
    As for the D3D tests not working in dxdiag and TF2 not being able to start the game.... I went into safe mode and used Driver Cleaner Pro, Driver Sweeper, And RegCleaner to remove all ATI related products and drivers.
    Restarted windows normally and installed an earlier version 7.7 Catalyst drivers and control center. For some reason the 7.9 & 7.10 versions glitched my pc. Seems there's a lot of people having the same problem..
    PC runs dxdiag D3D tests fine now and the game/games run fine.
    I got the 7.7 version catalyst drivers & control center from Guru3D.com, Downloads, Catalyst Drivers (ATI). Great site for drivers of all kinds.
    Hope this helps someone else out. If you have any questions, just ask.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Hawk wrote:
    Got the problem fixed and here it is in case anyone else has D3D problems with ATI cards. Mine is a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB.
    My first problem was invalid boot.ini and I couldn't get into safe mode to delete all ati related stuff..
    Fixed that by getting into repair console with the article Thrax wrote.
    Fixing XP in eight steps. Thanks Thrax.

Another winner! YAY! :D Glad you got it fixed!