computer randomly shuts down

edited October 2007 in Hardware
My computer has been acting strange lately...it randomly shuts down and the power button on the tower is flashing orange. I can't just push the button to turn it back on, I have to hold the button for a few seconds, then release and push it again. I backed up my hard drive and restored windows and started all over again, but lately it's been happening again. Someone with more computer knowledge than me please help

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2007
    Sounds like over heating. I found when I had a machine that over heads it just switches off and wont turn on til you kill the PSU. Sounds a little different from what you are getting though.

Get a copy of Coretemp and start running in the background. The log file will rule out or confirm any over heating problems. Also get a copy of memtest86. This will rule out problems with memory. You can get both if you google them and they are available free.

The other likely problem is the PSU.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited October 2007
    Have you made any changes to the computer, i.e. addition of a new piece of hardware/software? What about blowing some compressed air through the entire case, especially in and around the CPU/HEATSINK?

PSU is surely a good bet as they usually present this symptom when they are on their way out. Have you changed the power profile on the pc for maximum battery, changed any power settings in BIOS such as STR or set the timeout for standby mode to a lower one?
  • edited October 2007
    I have networked my PS3 to my computer lately, but this problem was long before that.

Are you saying that I should blow compressed air through the case, or are you asking if I did cuz that may have been a problem? I haven't, but i will if you suggest it.

Haven't made any changes to the power settings that i can think of....where can i check those options?

Thanks for both your suggestions
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2007
    The basic theory is that things dont generally just go wrong. If it has started happening out of the blue it may be because your PC is overheading due to build up of dust and dirt. By blowing compressed air through it you will remove the dust and allow air to flow more freely through your case and keep the temp down. Personally I would use the hose with the bruch atachment on my vacume. That way you are removing the dust instead of just moving it around. Once you have given the whole of the inside of the case a good clean you can then use compressed air which will removed any remaining mess. Pay special attention to the heatsink on the CPU. Make sure all the fins are clean.

--Edit--

Having re-read your original post it actually sounds like you PC is going into stand-by mode and not recovering.

Pressing and holding the power button forces it to shut down which then lets you reboot. Do the above and if that doesn't help post back.
  • edited October 2007
    i had the same problem after my son accidently kicked it when swinging his feet & knocked the heatsink slighty on the cpu instant overheat

if you go to into your bios you'll get your core temp from your cpu but be carefull when your in your bios the pc wont shut bopwn if it is overheating
  • edited October 2007
    When cleaning the inside of the computer with blown air or vacuuming remember one thing.

DO NOT allow the nozzle to come within 4 inches of anything inside. Flowing air causes large amounts of static electricity to form on the nozzle looking for something to zap.

I worked at a PC shop a few years ago. They got in a specially built laser printer, large format, cost over $15,000. New guy got a vacuum with hose/brush on the end and vacuumed all the cards in it (inside was like a computer with over 20 addon cards slotted in). He fried the whole thing. I saw him after he'd been at it a while and started yelling OMG because I could see the little sparks as he ran the brush back and forth across the circuit boards.