New Epox 8KHA+ bios recognizes Barton procs!

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I had asked over at AOA about an updated bios that will recognize the barton and thorton core procs and ET put a new bin file upfor me. I flashed it to my KHA+ and now it boots up showing "Athlon at xxxx" instead of "Unknown at xxxx". Here is the bin file for anyone who wants/needs it for their KHA+.
8khi.zip 173.8K

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Just a little Addendum:

For this BIOS to properly recognise a Barton CPU, it has to be a 133 FSB Barton.

To determine this, you have to look at the last letter of the first string on the CPU label. The last letter tells you what FSB speed the processor was built for.

A 133 FSB Barton would have a "C", a 166 a "D" and a 200 an "E".

So you would need a Barton with a first string ending in "C" for it to be properly recognised by this 8KHA+ BIOS.

Thanks to muddocktor for his assistance.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    So a mobile barton? I thought normal bartons started at 333 mhz FSB and up to 400 mhz except for the mobile ones.
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah, they do have 1 desktop 133 fsb Barton on the market. It's an XP2800 and is the counterpart of the MP2800. It uses a 16 multiplier, just like the MP2800. They are kind of rare, like the XP2600/133 procs are too.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Hmmm, news to me.:)
  • Question: If I have the 8KHI3425 BIOS installed on my 8KHA+, will a Mobile Barton 133FSB CPU POST and allow me to update to the newer 8KHI3916 BIOS?

Thanks in advance,
    RHH
    MavSM wrote:
    Just a little Addendum:

For this BIOS to properly recognise a Barton CPU, it has to be a 133 FSB Barton.

To determine this, you have to look at the last letter of the first string on the CPU label. The last letter tells you what FSB speed the processor was built for.

A 133 FSB Barton would have a "C", a 166 a "D" and a 200 an "E".

So you would need a Barton with a first string ending in "C" for it to be properly recognised by this 8KHA+ BIOS.

Thanks to muddocktor for his assistance.