Laptop purchase AMD vs. Intel?

edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new laptop and haven't been able to choose one. I'm currently looking at a Toshiba with an AMD Turion 64x2 TL-58 cpu. There's also a HP with the same cpu. Does anyone know if this is a decent processor? Should I go for Intel instead? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    If you find a laptop with a Core 2 Duo T7200 or T7300, you'll get better performance and longer battery life. If it's more expensive, though, it's not worth it.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    When I bought my laptop a year ago the Core Duo then was cheaper and performed well (still does).
  • edited October 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    When I bought my laptop a year ago the Core Duo then was cheaper and performed well (still does).

I hear a lot of people complaining about their laptops, mostly about poor batteries. I also hear the overall quality/speed declines fairly quickly. I'm hoping it's not true. I may end up going with a desktop if it is. :confused:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Avail06 wrote:
    I hear a lot of people complaining about their laptops, mostly about poor batteries. I also hear the overall quality/speed declines fairly quickly. I'm hoping it's not true. I may end up going with a desktop if it is. :confused:

Mmm, I suppose only if you don't take care of them. Naturally, you'll get more speed out of a PC because many of the processors/graphics cards aren't put into laptops, causing them to be a slight step behind. Plus, laptops are designed with a blend of convenience and power, where PCs can cator souly to power. I don't know what you mean about it 'declining' quickly. If by decline you mean the technology is outpaced, then that is true. Laptops are hard to upgrade.

Battery life really depends on the laptop. My Macbook pro goes about three hours if I turn down the brightness and I'm not doing very intense things. My Sager goes about two hours while doing work actively.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    When I was in the market looking for a laptop, it was back when you had the choice between Celerons, Pentium-M's, Pentium 4's, and Turons.

People would go out to Best Buy, pick up a laptop with a Pentium 4 (which, for all intensive purposes was never really meant to be laptop friendly) and then complain about a 30 minute battery life. Celerons would be the same way. Sure, they were cheaper than the Pentium-M, but that's for a reason.

Celerons would run 100% all day, everyday - taking all the power your battery has with it. Pentium M's were, AFAIK, one of the first to actually start throttling how much power they sucked in when not in use, or when using an application like MS Word that required virtually no power to run.

While I'm somewhat outdated when it comes to the current market, the point of my story stays the same. Look for a processor that actively controls how much power it uses (even how much voltage it needs to begin with) and you'll be making a better buy with a longer lasting battery.

I ended up going with an AMD Turon ML-38 (I think...I know it was an ML series) and picked up HP's extended battery. The laptop lasts my long 4hr plane rides back and forth across the country, 3.5 watching a movie, or ~2.75-3 playing a game.
  • edited October 2007
    Well I think both of them are very good , it depends on your usage . But it seems that right now intel is more popular than the AMD.