graphics card

edited October 2007 in Hardware
how do you check on your computer what graphics card you have? sorry asking such a nooby question. another question, how do you tell what graphics card your computer can run and what it cant run?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Easiest way to check your card is with DirectX diagnostic utility.

Start Menu > Run > "dxdiag"

Your computer can 'run' any graphics card that can fit in the slot and be provided adequate power. Whether it will run well is dependant upon other factors like your MoBo chipset, amount of RAM, and what type of programs you use.
  • edited October 2007
    arent there like 2 types of graphics card?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    There are two expansion port standards, if thats what you mean. That's what I meant by 'fit in the slot'. Your motherboard likely has either AGP or PCIx, and you need a card that meets that form-factor, along with a power supply that can handle the load of the card.
  • edited October 2007
    the card im using is the ati mobility radeon x700. which is that?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    That sounds like a laptop. If you have a laptop, there's only a very small chance you can even change the card out.
  • edited October 2007
    no i have a desktop. funny how it uses a laptop graphics card >_>
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2007
    I had a 9550 that marked itself as a mobility chip once...
  • edited October 2007
    so what graphics card would best fit my computer, sony vaio vgc-va10g,? i want to be able to play css, world in conflict, cnc3 on high settings >_<
    edited October 2007
    Um...You have what I call a useless computer. You're stuck with what you got. The parts in that machine are parts from a laptop.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Sony definitely does some strange things with their VAIO line. It seems like in your case they used laptop parts to get a small form factor.

You may very well need to upgrade to an entirely new PC to get a new graphics card. I doubt anything can be changed on that machine.
    edited October 2007
    It looks like a cool computer though...If he does replace it, I wonder if he'll sell it?
  • edited October 2007
    awe man... ._. cant change the graphics card? well can i upgrade to a better laptop graphics card?
    edited October 2007
    Well, If that was made this year, and the manual says "express compatible" the chances are slim, but it may be possible. If not, no.
  • edited October 2007
    manuel.. damn i cant find it. can you find that information on the computer?
    edited October 2007
    I've seen it. It doesn't support express. You're SOL man.
  • edited October 2007
    awe ._. no way of upgrading the graphics card? why cant i just use a better laptop graphics card? doesnt fit?
    edited October 2007
    Do you have the old one, or the new one? The new one is listed to have a PCI-E 16x port. When did you buy this?
  • edited October 2007
    last year
    edited October 2007
    It might have PCI-E, take it appart and look.
  • edited October 2007
    idk where to start looking on how to open it up >_>. this is a weird computer lol
    edited October 2007
    Usually one looks at the bottom. You might wanna google yourself a disassembly guide.
  • edited October 2007
    yeah i opened it up and idk wtf to look for. btw when i put it back together i was left with 3 extra screws >_> lol
    edited October 2007
    Take some pictures. And I always have leftover screws. Sometimes I think my computers are held together with wishful thinking..
  • edited October 2007
    lol, do you think if i took my model to fry's, do you think they can help me choose a better graphics card?
    edited October 2007
    If you're that PC-Illiterate, you might as well pay for it.
  • edited October 2007
    lol yeah, i know how to use the computer with the programs and such, but i suck when it comes to the stuff INSIDE my computer >_>