What Technologies Will Be Big In 2004?

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited November 2003 in Hardware
What technologies do you think will make it big in 2004?

Blue Ray Burners?
Dual Sided DVD-R's?
PCI Express?
BTX Motherboard & Case Form Factor?
OLED Displays?
The Death of the CRT?
Intel's Prescott?
AMD's 64-bit CPU's?
Next-Generation Video Cards?
DDR2? DDR3? QDR RDRAM?

What are you excited about for 2004?

Personally, I'm looking forward to 64-bit computing, DDR2, PCI Express and Serial ATA Optical Drives :)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    BTX! BTX! FINALLY a new form factor.. ATX is SO outdated....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    BTX, X86-64, DDR2, Wi-Fi.
  • edited November 2003
    The all-in-one-super-computer-toaster-oven!:usflag:
  • edited November 2003
    What is BTX; how is it different than ATX and will we need new cases for it?

I would like to see .09 x86-64 go well, as well as developments with DDR2 and/or QDR mem. It will also be intesting to see how PCI Express comes along during the year.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    BTX = Balanced Technology Extended Form Factor.

Essentially, Intel had redesigned the motherboard form factor to place the CPU at the front left hand side of the motherboard, closest to the cold air intake fan of the case. As well, the motherboard has been flipped 180 degrees and will now be placed on the left hand side of the case, versus the right hand side of the ATX case as we have it now :)

Anandtech explains it best. :)

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1876
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2003
    I'm going to say BTX, and PCI Express. Death of the CRT? never!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    CRT will die when color Plasma screens reach 1280x1024 for less than .5 thousand dollars, or LCds reach less than 200 for a 17" with 1280x1024at 75 Hz in 32 vit color, with a pixel size more square, sized at under .240 each.

A while yet, yes, but power squeezes will be less with LCD use. That means less strain on electrrical grid as our computers will have 200 more watts or more of the saem 10 Amp circuit to play with powerwise. My NEC draws 38 watts max, the Energy Star drop is to 3 watts, and its response time is .16 ms which yeilds a 15-20 second faster shift from box to box and aparent wakeup of box which was excessively delayed by my KDs Ultra-Flat's wake-up from Energy Star sleep time adn means fast refreshes.

I vote for lower power draw CPUs, RAM, North Bridges, and South Bridges, due to higher density allowing for much lower voltages and thus less total watts of draw proportionate to computing capacity-- this year and for the next 5-6.

John.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    I can't see the CRT dying yet. LCD's are still prohibitively expensive when compared to CRT's of the same screen size, even though LCD's do offer better image clarity.

OLED displays and plasma displays would kick ass... unfortunately again they are prohibitively expensive... :(
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Right, and that expensiveness is because research is still active or just getting paid for. But temp and power limits let me decide to buy an LCD 17" and my room is 5-6 C cooler perceptively because of the switch, and I will save in electricity in two years enough to pay for it versus running the other monitor, in terms of increased long term costs versus increased expense now. And electricity costs are going up, not down here. I borrowed the money to buy that LCD now versus 1-2 months from now.

John.
    edited November 2003
    Ageek had this to say
    and I will save in electricity in two years enough to pay for it versus running the other monitor,

Hmm...never thought of it that way, very good point John. I think it is BestBuy that is having a sale on a 17" samsung lcd this black friday for $270 after rebates, pretty good price I guess, don't know any specs on the monitor though.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    LCD, BTX, DDR2, PCIx.
    The more I hear about BTX, the better it sounds.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited November 2003
    BTX look kinda dumb to meh =| not that pci x and exvrything else isnt great, im just used to ATX. hopefully wont hurt water coolings grip on the market, WC is actually on the new ersion of the A+ exam

i wanna see the presscot :) and the cooling solution that intel has to make for that 1 lol :D
  • edited November 2003
    I don't think anything will be big in 2004. People in general are spending less on computers every year. And all these things aren't going to be appealing towards a cost cautious consumer.
    All these things are nice and all but aren't really needed for the average consumer.

As for me, I'm not looking forward to any new technology. I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on what we have now. My mobo died recently and I'm looking forward to getting a new one, as well as my upcoming case mod to a full tower case.

*edit*

oh and crt's will never die, not unless lcds become a hell of a lot cheaper. and this has nothing to do with temp or energy use. As stated before, consumers are spending less money on computers/parts. As long as crt is cheaper, its going to be bought. Energy use isn't that big with an everyday consumer, because the computer doesn't stay on 24/7. they play their game of solitare and turn it off :rolleyes:
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited November 2003
    Why would they create a new form factor?
    It's not that different except they flipped everything.
    All they had to do was relocate the socket more towards the front of case and add the new PCI-x slots.

I am looking forward to LCD prices dropping enough for me to afford one and new WiFi standards.
    edited November 2003
    Yea, I got a 17" flat screen last black friday for $79 after rebates, great for a spare monitor. Now if lcd's dropped down to that price range, that would be sweet.