Which PSU to get?

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I'm wanting to get a new power supply for my parents computer. I want it to be quiet. Their system is pretty modest:
Athlon 1800+ (not o/c)
1 HDD, 2 Optical
Audigy Platinum

I'm assuming that 300w is enough? What about the Antec true 330w? Is there an alternative that is as good (or close) that is less than $50. I don't want to spend a whole lot...

I've thought about modding there current one with a quieter fan, but the possibility of elecrocuting myself isn't that appealing...

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2003
    i like the allied PSU's that you can get from newegg. they have some real steady voltages, and they're ceahp
  • edited June 2003
    I'm looking at the Allied PSU's on Newegg, but how much wattage do I need to put in that system? (specs in first post.)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think 330w should be able to handle that. I have a 430 running my 1800+, but I also have 4 HDs and a ati radeon 7500 a-i-w running in it.

As far as a cheaper alternative to Antec, I've heard Robanton PSUs are generally a quality choice.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I have the Antec True 330W on my 1800+ OCed, 3 extra fans, and 2 HDDs. Never had a problem with it.
  • edited June 2003
    Alright, what about an Enermax? Specifically, I'm looking at the 300w Whisper (non dual fan) It's only 28 bucks at Bestbyte. I'm thinking that, along with the two vantec stealths that I'm using right now (I'm replacing them with Thermaltake Smart fans.)

That, plus I'll give them my new slk700 and buy myself an 800U (to be used with a Thermaltake smartfan.) They should be quiet and cool (and I should be more so.)
    edited June 2003
    SK7 or SLK800. There is no SLK700.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    SK7 or SLK800. There is no SLK700.

YES there is

SVC SLK700 $30

svcompucycle_1745_12825140
    edited June 2003
    WHOA. I never knew. Now where does that fit in. Between the Sk7 and the SLK800?
  • edited June 2003
    I'm not sure where it fits in teh lineup, but the retail box comes with a TMD fan, making it uber quiet, and not that bad of a performer, though the TMD limits O/C possibilities (why I'm getting the SLK800U.)

Is the only difference between the SLk 800A and the 800U that the 800U doesn't require any additional hardware to run on an Intel chip? Or this another reason that it costs a dollar more?

//EDIT: I think I mean to say unter quiet, since uber means above, and above quiet might not be as good as below quiet... //EDIT
    edited June 2003
    über is in fact over in german. Dont forget the umlouts(sp).