Playing PC games through Linux on Xbox

breakdown84breakdown84 Around town
edited October 2007 in Gaming
Hello I'm curious to know if it is(theoretically or realistically) possible to play PC games on an Xbox via Linux. Whether if be through a source port or just installing it normally. Thank you for any information in advance.

Comments

• JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited October 2007
    Yes. Challenging? Very.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    If you can get the game to run, under wine in linux on a PC then you could technically get it to run under wine in linx on your xbox. But - remember that when your xbox is running linux and acting like a PC it's acting like a PC the following specs

<table class="xa" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="200"> CPU </td> <td valign="top"> 733 MHz Intel Custom Pentium III </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f3f3f3"> <td valign="top" width="200"> Front Side Bus </td> <td valign="top"> 133 MHz - 1.0 GB/sec </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="200">RAM </td> <td valign="top"> Micron 64 MB DDR SDRAM </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="12" valign="top" width="200">Graphics Processor Unit </td> <td height="12" valign="top"> 250 MHz Custom-Designed NV2X</td></tr></tbody></table>

So as far as the type of games your going to be running, I think freecell and mindsweeper would be pushing the limits.
  • breakdown84breakdown84 Around town
    edited October 2007
    Ok well that kind of rains on my parade. I doubted I could play the games that I was thinking of, couldn't hurt to ask though. Thanks for the info.

P.S just to be sure about all I could play is maybe minesweeper and freecell?

kryyst wrote:
    If you can get the game to run, under wine in linux on a PC then you could technically get it to run under wine in linx on your xbox. But - remember that when your xbox is running linux and acting like a PC it's acting like a PC the following specs

<table class="xa" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="200"> CPU </td> <td valign="top"> 733 MHz Intel Custom Pentium III </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f3f3f3"> <td valign="top" width="200"> Front Side Bus </td> <td valign="top"> 133 MHz - 1.0 GB/sec </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="200">RAM </td> <td valign="top"> Micron 64 MB DDR SDRAM </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="12" valign="top" width="200">Graphics Processor Unit </td> <td height="12" valign="top"> 250 MHz Custom-Designed NV2X</td></tr></tbody></table>

So as far as the type of games your going to be running, I think freecell and mindsweeper would be pushing the limits.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    yeah pretty much that's it for games, nothing fancy, maybe some solitaire on there as well. 64megs of ram 733 megz p3. You may even be able to stretch it and get some original Doom running on there as well. But as far as anything in the last 8 years, forget it.
  • breakdown84breakdown84 Around town
    edited October 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    yeah pretty much that's it for games, nothing fancy, maybe some solitaire on there as well. 64megs of ram 733 megz p3. You may even be able to stretch it and get some original Doom running on there as well. But as far as anything in the last 8 years, forget it.

Actually in fact Doom was exactly what I was thinking, among some other related titles such as Duke Nukem 3D or Hexen 2 put from what you are telling me I doubt I will be able to run those(didn't think I could anyway)Well thanks for letting me know I can run something good. Thanks again