Replacing Primary Boot Disk

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hi There,

I have just invested in a new hard disk as my old one was getting rather full and quite old. I want to run the new disk as my primary boot disk as it has more cache and it is a newer disk. The old disk is a 150GB SATA and the new 450GB SATA II.

I did this exercise years ago with an old Seagate IDE drive on Win 95. I think I put the new disk in as a slave copied the whole of the disk onto my new drive then swapped the primary and master around and reformatted my old one.

I tried that this time and it couldnt copy some info as the files were in use. I dont really want to reinstall Vista again as this will be the third or fourth time in in six months and I have to phone microsoft to get my copy activated as I have exceeded the two times I can activate Windows without contacting Microsoft. If I have to I will reinstall and contact MS.

Are then any drive mirroring software packages out there or could I possibly boot to dos from a floppy and then use "copy C:\*.* D:\"?

Thanks

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Acronis True Image. I do this quite a bit, and this is the most trouble free way to do it.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2007
    Cheers Prime. I owe you one.