Laptop question

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
im not laptop savvy at all, but why is my cpu recorded as being only 1.6ghz when i have a 2.4ghz chip inside. I looked into bios and nothing..can sumone help me out

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    ...some laptops drop their speed as a power-saving measure. It basically ramps down to a lower speed if you are not doing anything cpu-intensive.

When you say your cpu is recorded as a 1.6GHz, what program is reporting this? The BIOS? Or a benchmark/system info program?

If it's not what I just mentioned, could it be that your multiplier setting is wrong?

Prof
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    windows is reporting this..when i right click my computer..it says 1.6mhz...im bios is shows a 2.40ghz cpu though
    and as for multiplier factors n such..its a gateway comp...which means bios=crrrrrrAp
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    No, this is correct, Wug.. You have SpeedStep tech, which lowers/raises your CPU speed according to need. For example, if you install folding on your laptop and let it run for a minute, check your "My Computer" properties and it will say ~2.4ghz.

This is a Good Thing. :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Saves on battery.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Isn´t it just easier to plug in the powercord and see if it changes?

As far as i knows, this speedstep only kicks in when you have the lappy unplugged. I also think it CANNOT be disabled even if you want to.
    edited June 2003
    I know on some there are different settings you can change. I dont own one or have extensive use but you might be able to set it to full power. There are like ultra battery saving settings also.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2003
    my laptop came with speed step on even when plugged in. The systray icon for it on mine looks like a cyan and blue checkered flag. To get the 2.4 ghz set it to maximum performance when plugged in. Its probably best to leave it on automatic for the battery mode.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    If all he wants to do is make sure that it goes full blast when needed, wouldn't a cpu-intensive program (I heartily recommend Folding@Home:cool: ) do it?

Prof
    edited June 2003
    It should I would think raise the CPU speed when needed. Like a game or FAH.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    SpeedStep will bump CPU performance depending on load, so if you run F@H it will speed up to full bore in a minute or so.