Problems with E-MU 0404 soundcard... anyone help?

edited October 2007 in Hardware
I've recently bought an E-MU 0404 soundcard. Unfortunately I'm having some problems installing it for the first time. These are my machine specifications:

System: Win XP Pro 2002 SP2
Motherboard: ECS K7SOM+
Processor: AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
RAM: 1.96 GB

And this is the card in question: http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=10447&nav=technicalSpecifications

So I fit the card to a PCI slot, power up, and press 'Cancel' as instructed when Windows detects the card. So far so good.

I then attempt to run the Setup program to install the card from the bundled CD. This throws up the following message:

"Setup could not detect any E-MU Audio Card on your system. Please ensure that your E-MU Audio Card is properly installed before running this Setup program. Setup will now exit."

No matter what I do, I can't get my computer to recognise the card. I've ensured that the onboard sound, MIDI and Gameport are disabled in BIOS, and tried installing the card in a different PCI slot - no luck. I've also tried deleting every reference to Creative/E-MU from the registry and reinstalling, but still no luck.

Having Googled the error message I get, it appears that the problem I'm having is common, although there doesn't seem to be a published solution. I'm currently waiting to hear back from E-MU's support people, but maybe someone around here can help?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Check for a bios update for the motherboard.

Does the card say what PCI standard it complies with? 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, etc? The board may only support 2.1 and the card might be 2.3, the bios update may fix this, but it may not as well.
  • edited October 2007
    Checked for BIOS updates on the manufacturer's website and I have the latest version.

PCI... the card's 2.2, and my motherboard is 2.2, so looks like we're OK there too. Hmmm...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I've had this exact same symptom on a dead soundcard. Was an Auzentech that was DOA. :(
  • edited October 2007
    Thing is, it's obviously not entirely dead... Windows does detect (and identify) the card, even if the card's own installation software doesn't. Also, the infra red light on the toslink/optical out is lighting up...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Have you tried a different slot?

Do you have any other type of PCI card that you can try to load a driver for? Network, modem...anything.

I have a machine here right now that I cannot seem to install anything into...weirdest thing. Its like the Southbridge is messed up, no onboard NIC and no PCI card seems to want to install correctly. Windows says new hardware found, but when you point the hardware at its driver, it tells you that the location has not information about your hardware.

Leaning towards a motherboard problem on my end, but thought I would share for you test.
  • edited October 2007
    Aaaaaaaaah right.

Mark examines installation CD. Mark observes that the CD appears to be for a totally different soundcard from the one he's got.

Mark goes to the Emu website and downloads the correct software.

Soundcard works perfectly.

Sorry to waste everyone's time!