PSU?

edited October 2007 in Hardware
well last night all my fans just shutoff in my new antec900 case including my PSU fans, but the puter is still working. but my PSU is very hot. Is it toast or is there a trick I can do? Is this not a big enough PSU for 4 120mm fans?
This is my 2nd Thermaletake Purepower 680watt PSU in two years, are these things junk? Am beginning to wonder if I have a deeper problem considering my 3 sticks of bad ram 2 months ago.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    Those fans shuldn't draw squat. They are not your problem as far as a PSU anyway.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Your PSU lost the 12V line that the fans were on. Toast.
    I have had good luck with Tt's, but maybe it is time that you looked elsewhere.
  • edited October 2007
    Is it possible I have a bad setting in my mobo BIO's or is my prob exclusively a PSU prob?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    you can use a multimeter to check it.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    My guess is its' the PSU. I'd replace it.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2007
    It wont be the MB as your case fans aren't conected to your MB. 650W is more than enough power your rig unless you have Crossfire/SLI 12 hard disks, 5 CD burners, water cooling and your powering your monitor from it too!

What I do find odd is that it is ONLY you fans which have stopped. I don't know the ins and outs of power suplies but I would have thought that if your 12v rail had died then you would have had problems with other components?
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Velocity wrote:
    well last night all my fans just shutoff in my new antec900 case including my PSU fans, but the puter is still working. but my PSU is very hot. Is it toast or is there a trick I can do? Is this not a big enough PSU for 4 120mm fans?
    This is my 2nd Thermaletake Purepower 680watt PSU in two years, are these things junk? Am beginning to wonder if I have a deeper problem considering my 3 sticks of bad ram 2 months ago.

all my thermaltake psus have failed me at one point or another, and i switched from antec to enermax and that solved everything. you'll easily find articles on google that indicate thermaltake uses sleazy components now and that they deliver less wattage than they're rated on top of that that most thermaltake psus are actually rebranded.

just something i think you should know.