What is a normal temp for an X2 4200 Manchester with stock cooling/speeds.

edited October 2007 in Hardware
I just swapped out a 3700 sandiego for a 4200 manchester and my temps are about 10c higher with the new dual core. I was maxing at about 49c with the san diego and as soon as i put my dual core 4200 in and ran Orthos it started peaking at 58c. Is this normal for dual core cpu's or should i try to reapply the AS5 and heatsink?

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited October 2007
    I dont know how acurate that software is but I believe that CoreTemp is the recomended monitoring software on here. I have the X2 6000+ and my idol temp is about 48c and with folding it goes up to about 55c That is with an Akasa Heatsink and fan and mounted in a crappy aluminium case with two 80mm case fans. I consider mine to be a little hot and I am going to upgrade to the Antec 900 when I get paid.

get CoreTemp and see what that reads at.
  • edited October 2007
    What are you cooling it with? Is it the stock hsf? If so and the hsf isn't one of the heatpipe models that come with the DC Opties, then you will probably need to upgrade the hsf to something more efficient. The DC socket 939 procs max TDP is 95-110 watts at stock speeds, which is probably quite a bit higher than your old Sandy's max TDP.
  • edited October 2007
    Actually it was an OEM cpu so i'm using the stock HSF from my 3700 San Diego. I just assumed it would be close to what the stock HSF was for the retail x2 but i guess that's wrong.
  • edited October 2007
    Yeah, I would highly recommend you upgrade the hsf with a DC socket 939 proc. What kind of budget and what kind of case do you have? There are several good choices out there, depending on what you can budget for the hssf and the size of your case. Also, you can figure that if you can't stand noise, you will need to go with a hsf that uses a 120mm fan instead of one that's smaller. But that part also depends on the case you have too as quite a few cases run into problems with the taller hsf's that use 120 mm fans.