Best RAM combo

edited October 2007 in Hardware
Hey everyone,
I mistakingly bought Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ontop of my CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit only to find out i can only run 3gb of RAM.

Is it better to run the Patriot stick with another Corsair stick for the 3gb?

Or would i get better performance running the Corsair dual channel kit?

Thanks

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    32 bit XP will only use the 3gb. Vista, server and all the 64 bit programs can use more.

Just fill the memory slots. You do not want to add just a single stick for that 3'rd GB of ram. Keep it dual channel and just slap all 4 in.

Tex
  • edited October 2007
    Forgot to mention i have a 32bit XP... thought it was implied in the message when i said "i can only run 3gb of RAM." I was merely asking:
    2gb dual channel with the corsair memory vs 3gb with the patriot and 1 corsair.
  • edited October 2007
    bump
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    32bit XP will only see 3gb for now. Put all 4 in. Or send two back. Two GB for XP is GREAT. Unless you have very special needs you do not need more then 2gb. Crap 1gb for MOST things in XP is all you will need????

If you have those SPECIAL needs then install BOTH other sticks for 4gb total.

NO you can't see all 4 gb now but there are other things you do not realize as to why you should go ahead and install both sticks and go to 4gb NOW. Even though XP only will see three RIGHT NOW.

If you want more then 2gb (and have 4 memory slots) you go to 4gb, not 3gb.

I am sorry but I just do not have the time to write a "white paper" on why at this moment. This post is too long in its present form??

You asked a simple question. If you have four memory slots (you didnt mention your MB) and your only limit is currently the 32bit XP limit of 3gbs and you want more then 2gb (which you probably do not need anyway) then put all 4 sticks in and go to 4 gb.

Just trust me here.....

Cowboy
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    The basic gist of XP:
    If you want 2GB of ram, get 2x1GB sticks.
    If you want 3GB of RAM, you need 4x1gb or 2x2GB.

In the latter case, 1GB will be wasted as Windows XP 32bit cannot use/see over 3GB, but you need an even-number of sticks to maintain dual channel memory. Without dual channel memory, your memory performance will be cut in half.
  • edited October 2007
    Understood. thanks all. still learning here.. been out of the loop for a while