How do I go from Multiprocessor HAL back to Uniprocessor HAL in XP?

edited October 2007 in Hardware
My new dual core cpu isn't cutting it. It actually seems slower than my single core. I've tried all the optimizations and everything and I've decided to go back to my single core. When i put the single core back in it still says multiprocessor under "computer" in the device manager. If i try to update the driver it doesn't give me the option to select uniprocessor again.

A) Is there any way to revert back to a uniprocessor HAL after you've converted to multi.

B) Are there any problems with running a single core cpu with multiprocessor HAL?

I'm really trying to avoid reinstalling windows if at all possible.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    HAL changes are almost impossible. You will probably need to do a repair install, and that may not be enough. Sorry... With all the imaging I use to do for work, we could never get a system to change HAL's without blue screening. :(
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2007
    A repair install should fix it. But I doubt you need to muck with anything. If its running fine don't mess with it.

Cowboy
  • edited October 2007
    So if the single core seem stable while running in multiprocessor i should just leave it? Would my only possible problems be stability or would i lose some performance as well?
    edited October 2007
    I have never done extensive benchmarks comparing the differance going from a dual to a single cpu HAL. I would assume its stability.

Go clear your events file for apps and system and run for a couple days.

Tex
  • edited October 2007
    Its been so long since I've used the repair function on a windows cd. How will it mess with my system if i decide to do it?
    edited October 2007
    That might work. Never tried it. I do a repair install and do the XP updates.

Since I have most of the updates already in my XP install cd its not much work.

Cheers

Tex
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    There's no need to replace the HAL. SMP HAL running single-core isn't a big deal.
  • edited October 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    There's no need to replace the HAL. SMP HAL running single-core isn't a big deal.
    So there's no performance loss?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Nope.