Graphics card not being recognized / Driver problem?

edited October 2007 in Hardware
I truly wish I could just junk the whole machine at this point, but that's not in budget at the moment.

I got an emachine from a friend. I've added some ram and a pci video card Verto GeForce FX 5800 (no other option on my motherboard) and it runs games reasonably. Or at least it did. I moved, and in the process damaged the power switch. Before I figured that out I'd messed around with everything inside trying to isolate the problem. In order to get everything working again I ended up flashing the bios.

Right now it's booting & running fine - but only with onboard graphics. The driver disk got lost in the move, per the instructions I did check that it defaults to PCI for graphics. The nVidia drivers don't recognize the card and won't re-install. Any ideas? (other than chucking it through a window)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Have you re-seated the video card? Sounds like a fried video card to me.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Are the nVida drivers you have for your on-board video, or did you download the GeForce FX drivers from nVidia's site?
  • edited October 2007
    Tried reseating it. It's not fried - I have been able to get output from it (in video game withdrawl mode I actually installed drivers for a different version of the card - from the mfg website - and had some odd artifacts but otherwise working fine... but my games don't recognize the computer as having a compatible video card and won't run).

I downloaded the GeForce FX drivers from the nVidia website. It runs some program then tells me I don't have a relevant card installed, so I never get a driver installed from that.

Found the instructions for putting the card in but not the driver disk. Called the mfg and got an answering machine. Not holding my breath waiting on their reply....
  • edited October 2007
    Well, I feel a little silly.... went to pull it out and put it back in. Noticed the screw was crooked so I just left it out after reseating it. Now... recognizes card, nvidia driver install just ran and found drivers and everything.

Still gotta reboot it in a sec, but it looks like my issue was likely caused by not getting everything back in just right after taking it all out to look for wtf is wrong in here (and remove dust, dog hair and a couple dead bugs... amazing how much crud can build up inside the case).

Thanks so much for the help :-)