The New WinFS

MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
The WinFS File System For Windows Longhorn: Faster & Smarter

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20030617/index.html

And related Slashdottedness:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/17/2337253&mode=thread&tid=185&tid=190

"Tom's Hardware Guide has an article about the new WinFS file system. The article talks first about some of the problems and advantages with FAT[16|32] and NTFS, then talks briefly about WinFS. Here is the summary: 'Microsoft is breaking new ground with Longhorn, successor to XP. The upcoming WinFS file system will be the first to be context-dependent, and promises to make long search times and wasted memory a thing of the past. Today, THG compares it to FAT and NTFS.' Personally, I still have reservations about using a relational database to keep track of files. Unless they can keep the overhead to a minimum, I can't see it being as efficient as a file system should be."

I never could get straight the advantages of FAT32 v. NTFS - which is faster when you really need speed, the one that writes the FS entry first, or the one that writes the entry after it writes the file? Now I have to worry about WinFS. Ugh.

Comments

• dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    very interesting, this seems like the main selling point for Longhorn as of now.

~dodo
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003
    I imagine a lot of ram will be needed. It should be faster than the system they have now. It definitely will (should) hvae high minimum specs.

From the problems I see with databases right now, I shudder to think of the myriad of ways of messing it up.

I'll wait for SR2 before venturing down that path.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I wander if you will need to ever defrag, I don't care about the SMALL unnoticable speed difference, I just hate defrags.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    RWB said
    I wander if you will need to ever defrag, I don't care about the SMALL unnoticable speed difference, I just hate defrags.

True, but defragging is necessary though. My brother doesn't see the point in why you would want to do that. He doesn't even run scandisk either.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    It's my understanding that linux does not require defragging, I defrag OFTEN, I scan often. Actually it does it all for me when I am sleeping.