Firefox will not open .lnk files

edited October 2007 in Internet & Media
Ok so I am in the middle of a HTPC build but before I finish I want to kinda of make my own ghetto web based media center until I decide which media center to go with.

So I made a webpage which is basically just links for right now which lead to certain shortcut files (.lnk) files. These files mount the images from my dvds on to a virtual drive to avoid skipping, etc. that using a dvd causes.

So here is my problem.... if I try to load the page in firefox and click on any of the links that lead to a shortcut, I get this problem:

firefox1.jpg

and when I click OK, I get this:

firefox2.jpg

It didn't work :(

But if I use IE (well using IEtab) and click, I get this:

ie1.jpg

Sweet it worked!

The problem that I am noticing is that even though the html link code looks like this:

<.a href="file://G:\Movies\webpage\C\CHANGELING.lnk"> The Changeling<./a>

Firefox changes all of the \ into / which is why it cannot find it. Any ideas how to make this work? I really dont want to have to use IE.

Thank you.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    firefox is trying to open it up as if it's a web page. I also seem to remember that one of firefox's security features was to prevent you from running applications initiated through the browser.
  • edited October 2007
    That's what I thought to but I played around with google and found out that if you start from a file:\\\ then you should be able to open a file:\\\.

I also found out how to disable the security feature.... i just dont want to. :-P

Maybe I'll just stick with using IEtab /shrug