Motherboard for Quad 6600

ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Well I have managed to come up with the money for a new system - a miracle:cool2:
...anyway, I was wondering which of these motherboards are better in the long run...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131189
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131153

I have decided to go quad instead of building a farm out of my outdated hardware for fold@home.

And I have also been looking at this -hard drive WD 250 GB (7200rpm 16 mb cache) (WD2500AAKS)(X1)

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2007
    If you don't mind spending just a tad more, the Asus P5K-E is a tremendous bang for the buck. I've had my Q6600 up to 3.7GHz on it and it is very solidly built. Its basically a P5K Deluxe with a single ethernet adapter and less elaborate cooling system. The Vanilla P5K is a great board as well for the price. Do you plan to overclock?

In regards to the harddrive you listed, the 'AAKS' series drives from WD are very fast. I have a WD3200AAKS and it does about 100MB/s on the top end. Very nice drives indeed.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited October 2007
    lots of people using the 2nd mobo on my home site but adding a fan to the IIRC NB passive cooler and a passive cooler to the SB. they have been splitting a 3rd party cooler can't remember which one will post back if I can find it.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    lemonlime wrote:
    If you don't mind spending just a tad more, the Asus P5K-E is a tremendous bang for the buck. I've had my Q6600 up to 3.7GHz on it and it is very solidly built. Its basically a P5K Deluxe with a single ethernet adapter and less elaborate cooling system. The Vanilla P5K is a great board as well for the price. Do you plan to overclock?

In regards to the harddrive you listed, the 'AAKS' series drives from WD are very fast. I have a WD3200AAKS and it does about 100MB/s on the top end. Very nice drives indeed.

Thanks for the info on the P5K-E and the hard drive ... it was the best I could find for the price. And I am most assuredly going to overclock the "hell" out of the 6600:rarr::rockon:
    edited October 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    lots of people using the 2nd mobo on my home site but adding a fan to the IIRC NB passive cooler and a passive cooler to the SB. they have been splitting a 3rd party cooler can't remember which one will post back if I can find it.

Hey ! I appreciate the info and will be waiting ; granted you can find out about the 3rd party cooler - double thanks:D
    edited October 2007
    I wonder how future friendly they are?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Until you decide to go DDR3 (2008's end for most of us), very.
    edited October 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    Thanks for the info on the P5K-E and the hard drive ... it was the best I could find for the price. And I am most assuredly going to overclock the "hell" out of it:rarr::rockon:

P5K-E is your board then :) It has a vcore 'voltage damper' that works quite well keep 'vdroop' at bay. I didn't get more than 0.01-0.02V of droop with the P5K-E. Very good power regulation as well :thumbup
    edited October 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Until you decide to go DDR3 (2008's end for most of us), very.

Thanks ... any opinions pro or con on the specific motherboards .. I chose Asus based from budget? Though I might be able to raise slightly more in a month's time, give or take.
    edited October 2007
    Check out the DFI Infinity Blood Iron as well. Not as elaborate as some of the Asus boards but an awesome bang for the buck OC board.
    edited October 2007
    lemonlime wrote:
    P5K-E is your board then :) It has a vcore 'voltage damper' that works quite well keep 'vdroop' at bay. I didn't get more than 0.01-0.02V of droop with the P5K-E. Very good power regulation as well :thumbup

600 hundred Psu should cover me then? Or should I wait and gather the rest of the money and spring for the 800+ range. The mother boards I mentioned I believe are rated for 400+ but I was leaning more to going for at least the 600 Psu.
    edited October 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    600 hundred Psu should cover me then? Or should I wait and gather the rest of the money and spring for the 800+ range. The mother boards I mentioned I believe are rated for 400+ but I was leaning more to going for at least the 600 Psu.

All depends on what kind of graphics setup you plan to use. I have a Corsair VX550 (41A +12V rail) and it does just fine with a single 8800GTS and a highly overclocked Q6600. Planning to run SLI/crossfire? If not, The Corsair HX620 is an awesome PSU for the coin. I doubt you'd need to go into the 800W range unless it is something from a less reputable manufacturer. Check out something in the ~550-650W range from Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair (VX550 or HX620) or PC Power and Cooling (The Silencer 610 is actually the same PSU internally as the Corsair HX620).
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited October 2007
    Thelemech wrote:
    Hey ! I appreciate the info and will be waiting ; granted you can find out about the 3rd party cooler - double thanks:D
    Fromm MM forums thanks to VFM addict and Dave Rice.
    Tip from VFM for extreme overclockers.
    The P5N-E SLI'sNorthbridge has a passive heatsink and the Southbridge is bare. They do run v.warm when you're oc'ing and a little extra cooling isn't a bad idea.
    The simplest and cheapest fix is to use a *single* Akasa AK210 chipset cooler to cool both the Northbridge and the Southbridge http://*******.com/pj3d8
    It costs £3 (Now that's what I call value for money!)
    Unscrew the Akasa's fan from its heatsink and screw it onto the mobo's Northbridge. Then take the Akasa's heatsink and stick it on the mobo's Southbridge (it has a thermal pad fitted so it's quick and easy). This heatsink is very low profile so shouldn't interfere with SLI'd gcards.
  • deadlock-777deadlock-777 britain
    edited October 2007
    the asus blitz extreme is just that, eexxttrreemmee inddeedy,ok deadlock-777