Random freezes/restarts

edited October 2007 in Hardware
I have had computer problems for a while, then they started to get worse, would freeze during online games, then it started freezing during every thing besides idle time. So i rebooted everything still freezing and such but i figured it was work a try, because every1 kept telling me to run hyjackthis, but it would freeze while running that every time. Ppl told me it was either software, virus (which i know it isnt now cuz i have rebooted everything several times),powersupply (probably- but dont wanna replace if it isnt), cpu or memory, i have ran software to test memory and it came back good. so i dont no what it is any help?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It may actually be heat related. I'd recommend opening the side of the case and blowing out all the dust. Then try running with the side of the case off and see if conditions improve.

What specs does your PC have?
  • edited October 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    It may actually be heat related. I'd recommend opening the side of the case and blowing out all the dust. Then try running with the side of the case off and see if conditions improve.

What specs does your PC have?

its really old, gots like 250 mb of ram cant thyink on the athon atm but its old, and its not the heat im pretty sure, i tried a while back to leave the side off and had a 1 foot fan going on it , still froze and such. any other things it could b?
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Most powersuply deaths entail restarts and turn offs in my experience, so we may be able to rule out that aspect. Hard drive in it's last gasps perhaps? Or the mother board maybe packing it in as well. Can you run the machine long enough to run any anti-spyware or anti virus or do they just freeze up as Hijackthis? If you have a Live Linux CD you might try that to see if it is a problem with software(windows) or hardware(if the linux runs properly......)

...oh and welcome to Icrontic!
  • edited October 2007
    i have no linux disk =(. and i resistantly formated and installed windows p pro. it still freezes (mostly restarts, like hell ugg) it will restard like 20 times before being able to start up and run somthing (restarts happen before windows even starts, and then during windows start up , those are the wort times it does it, it also does it randomly during any time, (i tried to reply to you sevral times but it restarted during every message)--- so is it power u think?
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I believe it is likely the power supply unit ; if you have a spare or maybe picking up an equivalent second hand if you can afford that test it may very well solve your problem. Consequently it may be motherboard or hard drive related ... one of them is possibly dying. IMHO
    Someone else might have some ideas.
  • edited October 2007
    what he said