Stop Codes: Info on 0XB7372218

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hello! I'm very new to this forum and in a panic! This morning, following an update on my computer through AVG, I received the BSOD with this string of stop codes:

0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X806D0753, 0XB7372218, 0X00000000)

My laptop rebooted and has yet to do it again, but I'm concerned this is another malware attack or something and that I'm going to have trouble finding it?

Can anyone help me decipher this string? A Google search didn't produce any info on the 0XB7372218. I need my computer for work that's due at 3pm today!!

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Mims

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2007
    Well, the first part is the error code. The stuff in parenthesis are the references to the reason it happened. It may be referring to an address that caused the problem. Might wanna run memtest86 to see if you have bad memory.
  • edited October 2007
    Thanks! I'll try that. I haven't had another BSOD today, but I really can't afford for the thing to crash right now.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Diagnosing with MemTest86+

Does it do this every time you reboot?

If you can get into your system at all, make backups immediately. This may end up that you'll need to reinstall Windows. BSOD can be the first step in your data getting seriously screwed. Personally, if I get a BSOD and the memory isn't at fault, I immediately back everything up and wipe the system.

If you can't get into the system at all and MemTest doesn't give you any errors (meaning your memory is fine), I'd do some basic data recovery before continuing (and if that doesn't work, go advanced).

If your memory turns up bad, you can go grab some new sticks. If not, get your data off with the links above and then reinstall Windows.

Let us know if you need anymore help. :) Sorry I couldn't reply before now, it's been (and still is) a long day at work.

//edit: I see you can indeed get into the system. I can't stress this enough: backup your data now. A computer crashing is irrelevant if you have all your work off of it and stored safely on am external hard drive or jump drive already.
  • edited October 2007
    Thanks, Keebler!

I have a Maxtor 300GB drive that I use for backups regularly. I'll do another backup this morning before running MemTest.

Stupid question: If the backup is of the entire system, can I pick and choose the programs and data that I want reinstalled? My system is incredibly slow right now...too much crap on it...and even if nothing is seriously wrong at this point, I wouldn't mind wiping my system clean and starting over in the near future.

Or do I have to manually reinstall the programs, drivers, and updates? I've never had to restore from a backup, so I'm feeling a little stupid here.

Thanks for you help!!!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    sorry for the delay in replying :(

You'll have to manually reinstall everything; wiping everything is a good way to speed it up.

The things you'll want to backup are documents, media, bookmarks, e-mail, and stuff like that. You can't backup programs, so you'll need all the CDs and such to reinstall.