mac os leopard 10.5

GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
edited November 2007 in Science & Tech
Anyone else preorder it ?.
105.JPG 14.6K

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    not just yet, im gonna wait for a little while.
    so whats the deal with leopard? is there a 64bit version of it? or is it a 64bit OS itself?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    its 64bit.

I got mine today, although I won't play with it til this weekend.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    Not pre-ordering but definitely getting it. The bling alone is worth an upgrade. Then you throw in the overall backend improvements and it's a no brainer.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2007
    fatcat wrote:
    its 64bit.

I got mine today, although I won't play with it til this weekend.

0_o its not out till tomorrow.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    GrayFox wrote:
    0_o its not out till tomorrow.

its the 26th somewhere right....

.."It appears that some have already obtained legitimate copies of Apple's latest Mac OS X operating system. Meanwhile, many customers are reporting that their Leopard orders have been "prepared for shipment" with a few reports that it has already shipped for some."
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I know some place that's had it. ;)
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    didn't preorder it, but probably gonna get it from the school's educational discounted software store.
    edited October 2007
    Mines shipped :).
  • edited October 2007
    I think I will still wait for a while .
    edited October 2007
    Got mine its great. They ruined spaces tho it was better in the beta.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    got mine last night, installed today

total damage: 69.00+tax
    edited October 2007
    I wish I used my student discount :/. (Didnt think of it till it was too late).
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    OS upgraded over the weekend. So far it seems to be faster overall but I suspect it's a function of a more efficient caching system. The new features are delicious candy and finder is drool worthy. It's quite beautiful to look at and I was surprised at how fast it was to create the previews for all the file types. The only ones it's got issues' with are some of my movies that require more advanced codecs, which doesn't surprise me and I'm not concerned about. Everything else though it's ridiculously fast.

Now I'd like to say my upgrade went smoothly and for the most part it did. I was however met with the Blue Screen + Mouse pointer upon my first reboot. I however had previously read about this issue so I wasn't panicking and I was prepared for it. If anyone doesn't know what that is it happens when you do the upgrade install (not the archive and install method). Your upgrade completes and after the first reboot you get a blue screen with a mouse pointer and that's it.

Fortunately it's usually a pretty simple fix and more importantly YOU HAVEN'T LOST ANYTHING. It's a fairly common problem if you have any incompatible application enhancers installed.

Click for the solutions I went with option 2 and upon rebooting everything worked peachy keen. I'm not sure exactly what I had installed that broke it yet, so far everything seems to be working normal. But to give anyone a heads up I have

AudioHijack installed, Sunflower, Flip, Directx and a program that allows direct r/w to NTFS partitions.
  • edited November 2007
    Apple store has it for $129, but Ifound a low price on it for $109
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    Speaking of Mac OS'es, does anyone know where I can find 8.5? A friend's G3 croaked, I've replaced the drive, but I need the OS that they can't find.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2007
    A friend of mine got leopard and it looks good. I'm not a mac user, so I don't know a lot of the small changes. Overall its pretty cool looking. He even bought a 320GB external drive for time machine.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Speaking of Mac OS'es, does anyone know where I can find 8.5? A friend's G3 croaked, I've replaced the drive, but I need the OS that they can't find.
    Try harder to locate the rescue CD. It's machine-specific. Failing that, older versions of OS X shipped with OS 9.

-drasnor :fold:
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited November 2007

You have probably already thought of this but can you not download OS 7.3(?) online for free? Maybe that is too old?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    System 7.5.3 is available as a free download from Apple as well as the patch to 7.5.5. However, System 7.5.x is not very stable on PowerPCs and all of your MacOS 8.x software is almost guaranteed not to run. I mean, the System 7.x kernels don't support threading. That's pretty bad.

-drasnor :fold:
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Installed 10.5 on the ole Dual 500 G4... :)
    Had to boot her up in Target mode and install from another machine...

Fully usable for my needs.