digicam memory site

jmoney3457jmoney3457 Maine
edited November 2007 in Internet & Media
whats good site to find out what kind & max amount of memory your camera will take?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    If dpreview has an article on the camera, it might list card capacity. Otherwise, the manufacturer's site might have some information.
  • jmoney3457jmoney3457 Maine
    edited October 2007
    ya but i swore this was this site that gave such info on all existing cameras..just can't find it tho
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2007
    If it's a modern camera it should be able to support any size of compatible card in it, at least that's been my understanding.
    edited October 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    If it's a modern camera it should be able to support any size of compatible card in it, at least that's been my understanding.

modern as in how new?
    edited October 2007
    Last 5 years at least. If it takes, any sort of memory card it shouldn't have any limits on the amount of memory that card has. The internal memory is obviously fixed. But just because it comes with a 128mb or 512mb card there is no reason you shouldn't be able to put up to an 8gb flash card in there if it supports that type of media. If it uses mmc you'd be limited to 2gb for example.
    edited October 2007
    The problem with that is that card format changed as capacities increased. Many cameras more than a year or two old can't address more than 1GB of SD flash memory, for instance.
    edited October 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    The problem with that is that card format changed as capacities increased. Many cameras more than a year or two old can't address more than 1GB of SD flash memory, for instance.

when you say address GH..what do you mean? coz i thought someone just said any modern camera can take any size of the compatible memory?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Address = use.
    edited October 2007
    so modern (5 yr & newer) cams do or do not have max size on there respective compatible card? coz we're getting conflicting reports here lol 1 says no limit on compatible card, another says there is limit?
    edited October 2007
    There shouldn't be a limit but apparently some cameras have issues addressing larger cards. Why not post up the make/model of your camera and we'll see what we can dig up for you. Also (just to make it easier) what type of flash memory it's using.
    edited October 2007
    Is your camera SD? I don't know whether the capacity addressing issues apply to other formats because all of my cameras have been SD for the last few years, but when the SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) format was released to create sizes above 2 GB (I incorrectly stated 1GB above) many existing cameras did not support this format. So in the land of Secure Digital cameras, you have to watch out for camera ability when you start using larger cards that follow the SDHC format.
    edited October 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Is your camera SD? I don't know whether the capacity addressing issues apply to other formats because all of my cameras have been SD for the last few years, but when the SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) format was released to create sizes above 2 GB (I incorrectly stated 1GB above) many existing cameras did not support this format. So in the land of Secure Digital cameras, you have to watch out for camera ability when you start using larger cards that follow the SDHC format.

NP gh..my current cam i say current coz i'm about to get new 1 sometime soon..is sony (about 2 yr old) ..sony obviously takes the mmc ...do they make a high end mmc ? like the SDHC..does MMC have something to compare to that?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2007
    MMC is already high-bandwidth for what it's used for. I think the fastest memory in the world when it comes to flash is Memory Stick Pro Duo with it's 122MB/S limit.
    edited October 2007
    MMC is already high-bandwidth for what it's used for. I think the fastest memory in the world when it comes to flash is Memory Stick Pro Duo with it's 122MB/S limit.

We're referring to capacities, not bandwidth in this case. However, faster memory is good, of course. ;)

As far as I know, MMC can be had in similar capacities to SD.
    edited October 2007
    Micro MMC caps at 2gigs. Larger formats can go up to 8 gigs.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2007
    Oh. Sorry. I get distracted easily. If you wanna ask alot of people something; Ask at craigslist.com Alot of people go there, and alot of them proficient in a field.
    edited October 2007
    I trust the opinions I get around here a lot more than I trust any random Bubba who replies on Craigslist. :rolleyes:
    edited October 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I trust the opinions I get around here a lot more than I trust any random Bubba who replies on Craigslist. :rolleyes:

LOL..thx 4 all the info guys
    edited November 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    If dpreview has an article on the camera, it might list card capacity. Otherwise, the manufacturer's site might have some information.
    edited November 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    If dpreview has an article on the camera.
    i forgot to ask GH..what/who is dpreview? lol
    edited November 2007
    dpreview is a really comprehensive digital photography review site. I trust their advice for every camera I buy.