System boot hangs at agpcpq.sys

edited October 2007 in Hardware
System was not booting(system32 corruption) but followed some online instructions and got the system to boot but now it hangs at agpcpq.sys when booting in safe mode. And booting in normal mode it gets past the xp windows logo and the screen turns black. Any ideas?

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    From what I can see for solutions out there, a BIOS update has cured this issue for some people. Give that a shot and report back.
  • edited October 2007
    I tried a bios update, didn't work.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited October 2007
    Hi zachj just a couple of ?'s
    1. Are you using onboard graphics or AGP card
    2. When you do an F8 do you have the option to enter Safe mode using VGA MODE.
  • edited October 2007
    1. Not 100% sure but think its onboard graphics, I think the AGP would have to be something I upgraded too, which I have not. This is an old IBM netvista #8315 computer, like probably more than 8yrs old.

2. options are:
    safemode
    safemode with networking
    safemode command prompt

enable boot logging
    enable vga mode
    enable last good... and so on

I tried the enable vga mode option and it does the same thing..black screen.

I tried doing the knoppix linux cd thing to back everything up and it goes to a white screen with an x in the middle..weird.

any suggestions?
  • edited October 2007
    update... I was able to download a newer version of knoppix linux version 5.1.1 as iso image on to a cd and it took me right into my desktop. So im just gonna backup my harddrive to a flash disk and reformat or do a fresh reinstall of windows xp and then reload everything on to the computer again.

thanks for the help