CD drive issues

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
I tried to google it, I did, I tried to stop pestering you all... But nowhere comes close to Icrontic for solutions tbh :P

My CD drive is pretty f... screwed up! This happened a while ago, and I never managed to fix it, but basically, I can use any CD that has been made by a company, came with software and whathaveyou, BUT if it comes to home made used or blank CD/DVD R/RW disks of any size my drive can't see them at all. Example?

the MTW example is what happens when I put a game in like Medieval Total war, and te Ubuntu Example is when I put a home made disk in like an Ubuntu CD :P

I've tried disabling and re-enabling it, I've tried formatting, I've tried un and reinstalling the CD drive... Nothing works... HALP

N.B. I made a 700MB CD R disk at a friend's house with an Ubuntu.iso on it, was a total retarded failure on my part caused by being a noob :D But when I out that disk in the PC could read it, so I dunno what's going on >.< Any previous backups I've made have just not been able to be read and I can't make any more backups since there's apparently no disk to backup to, even though the disks I've been usng are compatible as they are the sames ones I've used to make previous backups. I instert a disk, click burn, it ejects the disk and asks me to put a disk in :confused: