DVD-RW decoder

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Recently, I picked up a Sony DVD RW(DRU-170C) drive to throw into my antiquated PC (vintage 2002). After installing it I recieved an error message indicating (something to the effect of) that I need to install a DVD decoder.

This was contrary to my expectation of simply installing the drive and watching my favorite DVD. So I am now wondering what's the deal with all of this. Is it standard for DVD readers to require software decoders (which are not included)?

I am operating windows 2000; the drive came with some Nero (version 7)software which appeared to be related to burning CDs/DVD's - not watching them. I am overlooking something obvious there?

Do I have to buy additional software, or is there something available free online? Should something be available from Sony as part of my purchase?

in short: what gives?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Download Media Player Classic or VLC.

DVDs are encoded in MPEG2, that is the type of video. In order to play it, the PC must be equipped with what's called a "Codec" to understand how to play the file. Both of these programs are capable of playing your DVD.

The purchase of a DVD-anything assumes you've prepared all other elements of playback ahead of time.
  • edited November 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Download Media Player Classic or VLC.

DVDs are encoded in MPEG2, that is the type of video. In order to play it, the PC must be equipped with what's called a "Codec" to understand how to play the file. Both of these programs are capable of playing your DVD.

The purchase of a DVD-anything assumes you've prepared all other elements of playback ahead of time.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I was under the impression that I had Media Player Classic installed already, but I think I might also be fighting some virus problems right now, so perhaps that's the real issue.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited November 2007
    metalminer wrote:
    but I think I might also be fighting some virus problems right now, so perhaps that's the real issue.

Welcome to Icrontic metalminer :)

Perhaps our spyware team can help, please take the time to read and follow

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43902
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic are two different things.
    You may be getting that confused.
    Media Player Classic's interface reflects its title--retro, old school, basic. This single player easily replaces the four or five video players installed on most systems. The only caveat is that you may have to download a complete set of codecs to play your favorite video formats. Depending on what your playing. Media Player Classic also easily loads and plays standard DVDs. Media-Player-Classic

I prefer VLC-Media-Player which has played everything I put to it.
    VLC Media Player offers a one-stop solution for the file-format problem. The program supports playback of OGG, MP2, MP3, MP4, DivX, DVD, and a whole slew of other file types. In addition, it also can function as a streaming media server.
    Hope this helps..